SWG for above ground vs. inground

tgbart

Jun 22, 2014
Juno Beach, FL
We are about to purchase a Viking Claremont fiberglass pool for a new home being built in St. Croix, USVI. Our current inground cement pool has a Hayward Goldline SWG I purchased about five years ago for around $500. I am looking at another Hayward Goldline AquaTrol, but it specifies for above ground pool up to 18,000 gals. Out Claremont is less that 18,000 gals, so what is the difference in a SWG as regards above ground or inground?

I am curious about this also. Hopefully someone can shed some light on the matter. I have been looking at the Aquatrol also, but estimating that our new pool will hold a bit over 18,000 I suppose I should go Aquarite for 25,000. But it's an in-ground system. So I have been wondering the same thing you are.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I am not 100% sure, but I think the size is a major difference. Depending on how it is installed, there may not be a flow switch either for the AG version.

We recommend sizing a SWG 1.5-3 times the size of your pool. So the Aquatrol would only be good for a pool up to around 10k or so.

For a 18k pool, I would recommend the 40k cell. That is what I have.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, the aquatrol also has an integrated timer that can be used to power your pump. the assumption being that you only have a single outlet for the current pump, so the pump is then plugged into the aquatrol and it is plugged into the wall outlet.

There are very few differences, but there are a couple. An AquaTrol, for above ground use, has a cord with a plug and an outlet for the pump. An in-ground SWG has hardwired electrical connections. There are also often bonding connector differences, as bonding is sometimes not required for above ground and so the bonding connector is sometimes left off, but is always required for in-ground so there is always a connector.

The AquaTrol cell also has hose connections by default, rather than glued PVC connections, though I believe adapters are included. Essentially all in-ground SWGs have glued PVC connectors.

So the Aquarite is in-ground. But would still be fine with an above ground I take it? So can that be wired to somehow run with the pump during normal pump run time but is there a way to have it where you can run the pump without the swag too?

The Aquarite is normally hard wired into the timer controlling the pump (also hard wired). So it is powered when the pump is on, but the % setting determines how much it actually generates. It could be used for AG pool, if your pump is hard wired to a timer and could run the SWG as well.

We run our AG pool with an Aquarite with the T-15 cell. All hardwired - Everything is on the timer and as Jason said, the percentage setting tells the SWG how much/often to run.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.