We have recently moved house and now have a pool.
I walked into a local pool store saw the prices of the chemicals and being a chemist turned right around and walked back out again to look for a more sensible alternative. This brought me to TFP!
I still have lot of reading to do and I am waiting for my TF-100 kit to arrive (hopefully Tuesday) but I have started to try and get the pool sorted.
Initially the CYA was 0 but over the last week I have been adding stabilizer and have got it to 34ppm
I have also tried to shock a few times with liquid bleach 8.25% but as I can't tell how high the FC level is getting I'm not sure it I am putting enough in.
One of the questions I have is do I need to worry about how much liquid 8.25% bleach I add? I have a 23,200 gallon, vinyl lined pool.
On Monday last week I added 8 gallons of liquid bleach and had the water tested at a local pool shop the next day and the results were:
On Friday I had another go at shocking and added 11 gallons of 8.25% liquid bleach over the course of 4 hours. I took a sample to the pool store again yesterday and the results were
The stores also tested for nitrates and told me the level in my pool was very very high 140ppm. I have read up on this a bit and it does seem to be unusually high.
1. Is there a limit to the amount of liquid bleach I can add to the pool when I shock before I risk damaging the pool?
2. Is there a test kit I can buy to check for nitrates? (Not that I don't believe the pool shop but I would like to be able to test myself)
3. If I need to get my nitrates down is the only way to drain water out of the pool?
Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated!