Looking for suggestions to re-purpose steps for a resting place

QuiltinMom

Platinum Supporter
Mar 24, 2013
Central Iowa

I would like to re-purpose these steps. We have a 6 year old special needs daughter and she is very tiny for her age. She is about the size of most 4 year olds. When she is in the pool she can not touch the bottom and has to wear her life vest. She tires easily of flapping her arms and legs to move around. I would like to have a place she can "park" to take a break with out having to block the ladder. Plus it is not to comfortable to sit on a ladder rung I am sure.

These are the steps/ladder that came with our used pool. I have no idea where the steps went for the ladder part that goes on the outside of the pool. I don't think I want to use them anyway. I would like to figure out a way to be able to place these steps in our pool and not have the ladder attached to the other side. I don't want to allow access in or out of the pool with these steps. I just want her to be able to stop and take a break or sit there an play around.

How can I secure them so they don't float away or move? They will have to be able to come out when the swimming season is over, but I want them to stay put otherwise. I don't see any place where you can add water to weigh them down. Do I just need to save my bleach jugs and fill them with water and hang them from the underside? Also, I need to figure out a way to block off the top so you can't go over to try and get in or out.

Or, I am open to other suggestions as to what she could use to take a break on. She only weighs about 35 lbs. so weight won't be a problem.

THANKS!!!

I would use a big drill bit and drill 4 holes in the side, one at the top and one closer to the 3rd step down and fill bleach jugs with more sand than water and tie them off to the steps and call it a day. If you have a deck, put some flower pots around the steps up against the rail so no one can use the steps as the flower pots will be in the way for access. :goodjob:

We don't have a deck. Maybe someday. I would like more of a permanent way to block off the top. Maybe I could mount the handrail on there and find something to mount across there. I was going to leave the hand rails off just so you could get on the stairs from either direction and not have to get on them from the front only.

THANKS for the suggestion of the bleach bottles. I certainly have a couple of those around.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.