My SWG requires 4500 ppm

GreatCanadian

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 28, 2011
St. John's, Newfoundland
This side conversation was removed from here. JasonLion

My SWG requires 4500 ppm (yes, you read that correctly). Using pool calculator I add the required amount of salt. I never test. As long as the SWG reads green, I assume it likes the salt level. On the rare occasion that I reads low (usually halfway or further into the swim season - splashout) I raise it by 500 ppm (using pool calculator to determine the amount). No issues. I have a cheap $150 SWG just starting its 4th season.

Re: SWG and Salinity

Using pool calculator I add the required amount of salt. I never test. As long as the SWG reads green, I assume it likes the salt level. On the rare occasion that I reads low (usually halfway or further into the swim season - splashout) I raise it by 500 ppm (using pool calculator to determine the amount). No issues.

This works great until it doesn't. Cells can read low if they have calcium build up or when they reach their end if life. If you just blindly keep adding whenever the cell reads low you could be far exceeding the level you think you have. Since you are already at 4500, this could bring you into the corrosive range.

I don't add blindly. I check my cell periodically (have never had build up - proper maintenance is partially responsible for that). My SWG REQUIRES 4500. I add the amount to bring to that level. Splashout over the summer lowers the salt level. Adding 500 ppm never brings me above the 4000 to 5000 recommended range. It's worked for 4 years foor a $150 chlorinator. I have read about many more issues with $800 units. Cell is cleaned with MA and water mixture at end of season. I still see no reason to test for salt. If my SWG dies this year it will have served me very well for a $150 unit. The best tests only read about +-200 ppm. After 3 months of splashouts and topping up, I doubt I exceed the recommended range. It's guessing, but educated guessing.

GreatCanadian, as svenpup said, that will stop working when the cell starts wearing out. Until the cell wears out, you are just fine. But when the cell starts wearing out the SWG will start telling you a much lower salt reading than what the salt level actually is. If you continue adding salt as your describe you will end up with a very very high salt level once the cell finally wears out completely.

I understand that. If I add the normal 500 ppm mid summer, that amount still keeps me in the safe range even if I lose NO salt (but I would not add that without reason). If it gives me a low reading after adding salt, I will know something is amiss. I don't intend to keep dumping in salt hoping for a "good to go" reading. If my SWG shows "Low Salt" next week, I will know something is amiss as it's only been running a few days. Trends have developed over the last 3 years. It's always late summer that I get the low salt reading. If it happens before that this year, I will be sceptical and check the cell and/or test the salt level. None of this is done blindly, nor without acknowledging the risk of not testing for salt. You're assuming that if I get a low salt reading resulting from build up or cell wearing out that I am going to just dump bag upon bag of salt in until I get a good reading. That's not my intent. I will never add more than the 500 ppm mentioned in my first post. If that doesn't do the trick then I will know something is amiss.

EDIT: Perhaps this information isn't clear. I have a seasonal pool. I start with a fresh refill every season. So I know my salt level is zero in June, and I never add more than once during the season .

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.