Ground wire around pool

Jun 15, 2014
Hi, I have an inground pool, steel walls. We're redoing all our interlocking bricks and decided to redo the concrete around the pool, was told by the pool store it could be done and I got a jackhammer and took all the concrete around the pool out. I noticed that the ground wire was attached to the corners of the pool and step/ladder/diving board. In the process I had to cut it to get the old concrete out. Now I'm unsure on what to do, where does that wire go? If I am to redo it now is the time since I have nothing in the way. I just read that it has to go on the rebar around the pool too? I googled but didn't really find much except why it should be grounded or bonded I guess. Any help would be apreciated,
Thanks.

Welcome to TFP!

That is a bonding wire, not a ground wire. It is there to prevent someone in the water from getting electrocuted when they touch a ladder, or the deck, when there is an electrical problem of some kind.

Thanks JasonLion,

So that is something I would like to redo then, so I understand it's attached to the steel around the pool, the rebar and the ladder, stairs and diving board but does it go back to my pool equipment or does it basically just do a circle? So it's a copper wire? Anything special I should look for when buying it? I noticed there were usually 2 wires together.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

National Electric Code requires the wire to be at least a #8 bare copper wire. Yes it is supposed to attach to your equipment, pool rebar, and anything metal within 5' of the pool wall, as well as a complete loop around the pool.

Look up article 680 of the NEC (national Electric Code) This is the code that dictates what has to be connected and how. All of the items previously mentioned are included. At least one leg of the wire must go back to the equipment pad to be connected to the pump, heater and anything else that has a bonding lug on it. This wire keeps all items and areas around the pool in the same electrical potential.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.