Feeling a little overwhelmed with the new pool

Jun 21, 2014
South bend,in
I just purchased the Pro Series 14' x 42" above ground pool, this is the first real pool we have ever owned. I am confused the about the chemical part of getting this pool ready. I don't know how much chlorine to use, I plan on getting the 1 inch tablets. Is chlorine the only chemical I need or do I need to other stuff too? Do I put it in daily or weekly? Also I do use the chlorine do I need to put it in the filter or buy one of those floater things. The pool is 3,300 gallons. I want this pool to last as long as it possibly can and I don't want to mess that up with using too much or too little and ruining the pool. Please help! :confused:

Hi Linzy, Wlcome to TFP!

Since you bought a pool, you are going to have to dedicate yourself to Pool School now and learn the proper way to care for your swimming pool. You're also going to need a good test kit so when and IF you run into trouble, you will be able to post the test results so we can help you. It is very important that you have a good test kit and not one from WalMart! You can look at them here :lookhere: Test Kit Comparison.

Here are a few links to get you started. When you are finished reading them, come back and post up any questions you have and reread them if necessary.

ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool
Chlorine CYA Chart
Recommended Levels
What is Trouble Free Pool Care?
PoolMath
What we need to know to answer your questions

Hi Linzy,
Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Casey gave you some excellent links to pool care. Its a lot to read and of course its understandable that feel overwhelmed.
The truth of the matter is that pool care using the TFP method is simple. You dont need to be a scientist using TFP! All of the science has already been done is available to you - for free!

The main ingredients for the clean pool recipe is;
- Unstabilized Chlorine - Bleach from teh supermarket is usually the most cost effective source.
- Cyanuric Acid - also known as Stabilizer. This help protect your chlorine in the pool from being burned up by the sun. available at Walmart and pool storesl, Lowes and HD in the pool sections.

- Muriatic Acid - This helps adjust the Ph if it needs to be lower. Dont worry, when this is added to pool water, it immediately breaks down on into salt.- Hardware stores, Lowes, HD, ad some supermarkets.

Depening on the minerals and what not in the water that you fill the pool up with might determine what else might needed to be added, such as Arm and Hammer baking soda.

You deifintely need a test kit. Without one, there is no way to know what your pool chemistry is, and if you dont know that, then you cannot make an intelligent decision on what to put in it.

Read the stuff Casey sent you, get a test kit and relax. Dont sweat it. When you get the kit *and its very easy to use* , post your test results here, and we will be happy to hlep you out!

First two orders of business are proper installation, especially if you intend on leaving it up year round, and finding fill water that is as free of iron as possible. Not having to combat hard water right off the bat will be a plus. Then get right on chlorinating and stabilizing and testing. Tablets are not a good way to start, nor is the idea that maintenance can be once a week. A little time spent every day is well worth the effort.

Linzy, I am on my first year of the TFP method. I just want to encourage you to read Pool School and other points you find interesting. This method has allowed me to take CONTROL of my pool and to understand what is going on with it. This is my third year with this pool, and I finally understand how things work. For the last two years I have been believing what the pool store told me about test results and what I needed. During the last two years there were so many weekends when my grandkids would NOT swim in my pool because it hurt their eyes or it smelled bad or it looked yucky.... However this year they would rather swim in my pool than in their own condominiums pool because my is clearer and feels clean. Get a good test kit I. I use the the TF-100 and I love it. My Granddaughters Love checking the pool chemistry and watching the speedstir turn from pink to clear. I have them convinced that I can tell who pee'ed in the pool from checking the chemistry.
Once again I encourage you to get some good test results and take control of YOUR pool. Have a great summer splashing in the cleanest pool of your life!!!

Linzy, I am on my first year of the TFP method. I just want to encourage you to read Pool School and other points you find interesting. This method has allowed me to take CONTROL of my pool and to understand what is going on with it. This is my third year with this pool, and I finally understand how things work. For the last two years I have been believing what the pool store told me about test results and what I needed. During the last two years there were so many weekends when my grandkids would NOT swim in my pool because it hurt their eyes or it smelled bad or it looked yucky.... However this year they would rather swim in my pool than in their own condominiums pool because my is clearer and feels clean. Get a good test kit I. I use the the TF-100 and I love it. My Granddaughters Love checking the pool chemistry and watching the speedstir turn from pink to clear. I have them convinced that I can tell who pee'ed in the pool from checking the chemistry.
Once again I encourage you to get some good test results and take control of YOUR pool. Have a great summer splashing in the cleanest pool of your life!!!

These are exactly the type of stories that keep me coming back to help people. I love seeing a success story like this because it is the perfect example of how knowledge is power. It's especially good when you see it improving the lives of those little kids.

Great to hear this one! :goodjob:

Hang in there Linzy, and this can be you much, much easier than you imagine right now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.