Jun 20, 2014
Elmira, NY
After being quite chilly today in the pool, OH is very insistent on the need for a heater. We're in upstate NY, so it's not the balmiest, sunniest clime.

What's a good solution---solar? Is there a heater you can plug in? And how much should we expect to spend?

Thanks!

Welcome dagny,

There is no plug in option for your pool size I'm afraid. Solar is an option, but you will need a fair amount of roof space on top of your house or elsewhere on the property for solar. The other option is a gas or propane powered heater, and that pool would require the large size 400K BTU. It will be expensive to buy and run, but it will heat your pool fast than anything else you can put in. Somewhere around 3K to have one put in.

A lot of a pool's heat is lost through the surface at night. A solar cover will trap in much of the heat that would have otherwise been lost. For example, with my cover on I will likely lose 3 degrees on a cool night versus 5 or 6 without the cover. So a solar blanket is a must to keep your heat in. As for generating heat, I think some people think it helps a bit, but likely only for the top few inches of water. I don't know all the science on it or anything, but I believe the solar cover is a great help in its heat retention, but not so awesome for doing the heating. The biggest cost for me to get my gas heater was the install - that is, getting the gas line to the spot I needed it. Of course that was one-time cost so over time it doesn't hurt as much. If I didn't have a gas heater, I wouldn't have a pool in my climate, which I believe to be a bit like yours. Oh -- the solar rings will be the same story as the solar blanket.

Thanks for the info. I think we're going to go with clear solar blankets for now and see how it goes. $60 investment is a little better than $3k :) especially since we've poured a lot of money into the pool this year already getting it up and running and we've got some inside projects that need doing (inside? I know, why bother when we've got a pool!). Then perhaps next year we'll look into the solar panels (I prefer green options) or gas.

Thanks for all of your help guys. Now if I can only get someone to help with setting up our 2nd return, we'll be all set :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.