Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stain on vinyl liner in deep end

1. Back To Top    #1

Stain on vinyl liner in deep end

I will try to get a decent picture of this--the glare off the water makes it not show up well.

But in short, the pool sat closed for 4-5 years before we bought the house. No clue how it was winterized. It was a green/black swamp when we opened it this year. After shocking and much vacuuming, it is crystal clear now, but there is a persistent dark stain around the deep end. Basically 1/3 of the pool is about 3' deep, then drops off sharply, so the deep end is essentially a ramp from the sides down into a square level area on the bottom which is the deepest level. Right where the sloped sides meet the level floor, there is a brownish/yellowish stain all the way around that will not come off for love or money. The pool guy said he'd never seen such a thing, but surmised it might come out over time.

There are some lighter yellowish/brownish discolorations on the liner that have indeed gotten lighter over the last few weeks. We really can't go down and test in the deep end with a vitamin C pill to know if they're organic or metal , so I'm not sure if it's just permanently discolored from maybe all the maple leaves that rotted down there for years (not to mention some birds and squirrels ). Any ideas about how to treat this or test it without drowning?

Also there are a few obvious rust stains--pretty small ones--what is the best product for that?

Thanks in advance!!
    25,000 gallon in ground vinyl pool 16' X 32'
    65 gal/hour DE filter--Hayward--model number EC65A
    Hayward Superpump--model number C48J2N131B1
    Pool is approximately 40-45 years old

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stain on vinyl liner in deep end

It is more likely than not organic staining from sitting so long. A slightly higher FC level and weekly brushing should lift it over time.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Had the same thing in my Grecian style pool. I threw a few Vitiamin C pills down there and they disappeared. Metals for sure. Did the ascorbic acid and it looked beautiful. The sequesterant isn't helping mine. Still fighting those stains!
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    It is more likely than not organic staining from sitting so long. A slightly higher FC level and weekly brushing should lift it over time.
    I know this most likely makes me appear stupid, but what is FC again? Something to do with chlorine?
    25,000 gallon in ground vinyl pool 16' X 32'
    65 gal/hour DE filter--Hayward--model number EC65A
    Hayward Superpump--model number C48J2N131B1
    Pool is approximately 40-45 years old