New Hayward SwimPure Plus SWG install

jamshell

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 8, 2014
Cape Coral, Fl
I installed a new Hayward SwimPure Pluse SWG several days ago. I added the required salt three days ago then ran the pump for 24 hours as directed (3000 ppm per numerous dip stick tests). I held off turning on the unit because my FC was very high (a result of following pool store guidance that I have since stopped). About five hours ago I switched the unit on (at 50%) and plan on running the pump for 24 hours (as directed) before I accept the displayed salt value as accurate. My issue is that both the "Check Salt" AND the "Inspect Cell" lights are flashing. I fully expected the salt light because the directions indicated the 24 hour run was required for an accurate value but the Inspect Cell is causing concern. I reconfirmed that I selected the correct cell type in the configuration and held the diagnostic button to reset the inspect cell indication only to find it flashing again a short time later. Is this a normal finding during start up or do I have a problem with my new equipment? Any insight is appreciated.

Last edited:
Try this:

Turn the switch to off.
wait 5 minutes.
move the switch to auto
In about 20 seconds, you will hear a click
wait 10 seconds
scroll through the diagnostic readings.

Thanks. I think I made things worse last night. The instant salt reading was 2000 and I ended up making that the average value but moving the switch to up to "super chlorinate" than back to auto which established 2000 as the new average. As soon as I did this the unit lit the "check salt" and the "inspect cell" lights solidly (not flashing) which means the unit is not attempting to run due to low salt. I now don't know how to proceed. Numerous salt dip sticks (from two different bottles) indicted the water is 2900 - 3200 ppm but the SWG is stuck at 2000 and now isn't even sampling because it believes the salt concentration is too low. All of the other diagnostic readings see to be in order when I switch the unit off then back to auto (It runs for a few minutes before it shuts down due to low salt).

What were the readings?

What is the volume of the pool and how much salt did you add?

Try brushing the pool and running the system continuously for a day, then test the salt level with a calibrated meter or drop test kit.

The pool ran for multiple days with many brushes and vacuum runs after the salt addition. I added 200lbs of salt to a 13K pool with a starting salt value of 1140. At this point either multiple salt dip stick tests from two different bottles (yes, I am aware that the scale is unique to each bottle) are wrong or my brand new SWG is wrong. I will seek out a drip test today (may be a problem on a Sunday). Thanks for the suggestions, any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
OK, I was able to have my water tested at the pool store via salt meter and it was 3300. They also had a drop test kit for sale which I took home and obtained a value of 3400. The SWG continues to read 2000. So I assume my new equipment is bad.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you have the cell in the right orientation? I think the generating process adds heat, so you want it up stream of the plates.

I'm not entirely sure that will make a difference, but it's worth checking. The temperature thing on my unit is a little capsule looking thing dipping down ~ 3/8" into the flow, ahead of the plates as I recall.

BTW, where did you get your temperature reading? Off a thermometer or off the cell? And do you believe the water is really that warm?

i have a new hayward swimpure plus that was recently installed - and in off position.
i added salt yesterday.
do i have to wait 24 hours in off position than 24 hours in on position BEFORE it shows me any salt readings?
at the moment i see the pool temp and pushing the diagnostics button does nothing to the display.
do i have a problem - or is it normal for the diagnostic button to do nothing until 48 hours after adding salt?

Try this:

Turn the switch to off.
wait 5 minutes.
move the switch to auto
In about 20 seconds, you will hear a click
wait 10 seconds
scroll through the diagnostic readings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.