Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool owner with questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Carthage, TX

New pool owner with questions

Hey everyone. My name is Jerry and i just finished getting a pool replastered and retiled this week. I have zero pool experience and got this pool along with the house back on December of last year, but I am very excited to learn the ins and outs.

A pool cleaning service had come out twice and will be back next week and I have been watching them to see what they are doing to try and learn but I forgot to ask them one question and I was hoping to get some help

There are two flip switches by the pool pump, one is on and one is off. The pump is suppose to run 24 hours a day until they finish their cleaning, but I am just curious what the second switch is for. It is a small motor looking pump that feeds something into the main line going back to the pool. I will include a picture. This is a chlorine pool. Thanks for the help in advance and I am sure I'll have more questions down the road

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW PA

Re: New pool owner with questions

Welcome Jones! Nice pool you got there. I can't help with the switches but I will tell you that I wouldn't take everything you hear from the pool place as gold. I would however listen to their start up as you don't want to mess up the new plaster. You will need to brush the pool twice a day and keep the pH at 7.2 as it is going to rise and continue to rise for up to a year as that is completely normal for new plasters.

You need a good test kit. We recommend the TF100 as you get more reagents than the K2006 but you can read about both here Test Kit Comparison. They are only ordered online. It is your number 1 tool in your pool tool box as you will use it everyday.

I would encourage you to read these educational links provided to you in Pool School:

ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Chlorine CYA Chart
    Recommended Levels
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: New pool owner with questions

Your pictures are pretty indistinct but I imagine the two switches control your main pump and a booster pump. The booster is there to be used in conjunction with a pressure side auto-vac......have you found it yet?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School