Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hairline crack in concrete coping 1 week after pour- normal?

1. Back To Top    #1

Hairline crack in concrete coping 1 week after pour- normal?

I know concrete cracks, but I noticed two cracks in the cantilever coping that was poured 5 days ago. Is this normal so soon?

One crack is on the edge, one is across the top of one section- about 18 inches long.

These are teeny cracks- hairline, but I was still surprised to see them.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hairline crack in concrete coping 1 week after pour- normal?

Sorry you are having issues. I had cracks in my decking two weeks after - they tell me it's normal and won't fix it - seriously hacks me off. We had a new deck poured at our previous house, they leveled it, put down gravel, then sand, compacted it then added the rebar - never had a crack in three years. That was not the process used here.
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. I didn't think it was normal either. I've had parking lots and driveways poured that didn't crack. PB is gone this weekend so I won't get a response until Monday. I'll put a hold on the project until it's figured out. I went out and took pictures and found three cracks already and it's day 5.

4. Back To Top    #4

Pics?
    18x36 vinyl / sport pool 5.5' deep / 1.5hp Tri-Star 2spd / Hayward c3030 325 sqft cartridge / ~15k gal / TF100

5. Back To Top    #5

Before we can give you constructive feedback we need some pictures. some closeups of the cracks and dome pictures of the pool showing where the cracks are in relation to the overall structure.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm trying to upload pictures now and I'm having a difficult time. I just uploaded pictures to a blog I'm keeping:
    http://www.poolsandprojects.blogspot.com Hope that link works. I'll add some additional pictures in a bit.

7. Back To Top    #7

Gorgeous pool, wish you would have documented it here.

Being that its so noticeable, I would def have him repair it. Where is that exactly?
    18x36 vinyl / sport pool 5.5' deep / 1.5hp Tri-Star 2spd / Hayward c3030 325 sqft cartridge / ~15k gal / TF100

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you. I can't seem to figure out how to upload pictures here or else I'd document it here- as that was my original plan. I've found this group so helpful.

The largest, most noticeable crack is right by the tiles in the large picture- so when I walk out the back door and into the pool, I'm going to have to see this discolored cracking coping- what a bummer.

I emailed the sub and the PB directly this morning but don't know if I'll hear back this weekend so I'll stew for the next few days.

9. Back To Top    #9

I would talk to them. See what they are willing to do. Just beware of solutions that end up being worse than the problem.

Did they only do the coping that day? Did they hand mix it with a mixer on their truck?
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

10. Back To Top    #10

Yeah, I don't know what they are going to do but it doesn't look good. It especially makes me wonder about them pouring the decking. I don't think that's going to happen.

They used a hand operated mixer.

11. Back To Top    #11

Figured out how to post a picture directly....

12. Back To Top    #12

Wow....I am sorry that you have such trouble with the concrete coping...now I am worried....we are having poured concrete cantilever coping as well, and I have been having 2nd thoughts on this selection....my designer said that since our coping and deck is small, havering the same material for coping and decking will make the space look larger.....but I know it will really bother me if the concrete crack in 5 days of being poured...will talk to them tomorrow.
    72' X 10' IG pool with infinity edge spa and in pool dry deck completed Nov 2014. Pentair 3 HP VS pump for pool and spa. Pentair Challenger 3 HP for three 3 feet sheer decent water features. Pentair MasterTemp Heater and QUAD D.E. Filter.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by cchopkins View Post
    Wow....I am sorry that you have such trouble with the concrete coping...now I am worried....we are having poured concrete cantilever coping as well, and I have been having 2nd thoughts on this selection....my designer said that since our coping and deck is small, havering the same material for coping and decking will make the space look larger.....but I know it will really bother me if the concrete crack in 5 days of being poured...will talk to them tomorrow.

Had I known I would have several cracks within the first week I certainly would have gone with a different coping- perhaps a precast one or stone. This is a joke & I can't wait to find out what the PB has to say tomorrow. "All concrete cracks" I'm guessing.

14. Back To Top    #14

He is going to say that there are 2 things they can guarantee about concrete. It gets hard and it cracks.
    18' x 36' saltwater inground vinyl pool

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Here's a little article I found on why concrete cracks.....

The cracking phenomenon is complex and depends upon a number of things; rate and amount of drying, drying shrinkage, tensile strength, tensile strain, creep, elasticity, degree of restaint, and other factors.

While most types of cracking do not affect structural stability or durability, all cracks are unsightly and in extreme cases cracking can reduce the use and servicability of the structure. For this reason, cracking should be kept to a minimum.

In the laboratory, drying shrinkage tests are the most easily and most frequently performed tests in relation to shrinkage/cracking problems. However, there is sometimes too much emphasis on the drying shrinkage of hardened concrete as the criterion of susceptibility to cracking.

Drying shrinkage alone is influenced by many factors - water/cement ratio; amount, fineness and composition of cement; mineral composition, stiffness, shape, surface texture, and grading of the aggregate; characteristics and amount of any admixture; size and shape of the concrete mass; and conditions of humidity and temperature.

Preventative measures at the time of placing and curing remain the best means of minimizing cracking.

Some types and causes

In most cases where cracks appear in concrete the crack can be identified and the cause of cracking established. An extensive survey carried out revealed that concrete cracking can be attributed to the following:
    •Construction and supervision problems - approx. 36%.
    •Design defects - approx. 27%.
    •Ambient conditions (temperature, humidity, etc.) - approx. 21%.
    •Quality of materials - approx 17%.

In addition, all cracks can be grouped into two broad categories:
    •Cracks occurring before and during hardening.
    •Cracks occurring after hardening of concrete.
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

16. Back To Top    #16

Actually, you are not upset with the cracks, just the location of the cracks. If they had been just a foot over in the control joint you probably would not care. That's why the control joints are there. Are there any cracks in the control joints themselves?

Your deck will come from a mixing plant so the mix will be right, it won't be built on the top of a concrete structure. Make sure the base is something more than dirt, is well compacted and wet the night before. Pour in the morning before it gets hot. Wet the deck at least a couple times a day for the first week. If is really hot put down a double layer of burlap sacks over the deck and wet them twice a day for the first week. Really important: Make sure the base is well compacted and is at the same height as the top of your bond beam or follows the engineer's detail discussed below.

Depending on what engineer did your plans there may be a detail on the plans about the relationship of the coping to the deck. Go look at the plans and talk about the detail with your builder. Not all builders follow the engineer's detail. There should be a full set of plans with your permit hanging on the fence or house near the pool.

17. Back To Top    #17

Kudos to the PB, gave me the choice of having them repaired or leaving them. Concrete sub was here and said there was one crack that he thought might get worse & actually fall apart (ledge going into spa spillway) and he felt that should be repaired before the stone was put to the top of the spa. Since he was repairing one, I figured they all might as well be fixed. If they don't match, we can add stain to try to blend them. It was kind of sad to watch them cut out the pretty coping, but after hearing PB concerns with edge of coping falling apart, we knew it had to be done.

18. Back To Top    #18

Great result. Did you get an idea on any kind of delay to the project?

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by martinkennedy View Post
    Great result. Did you get an idea on any kind of delay to the project?
    I'm not sure there will be a delay. The stone workers are finishing stacked stones and the concrete workers have already cut out the bad panels and are preparing the molds for the new pour.

20. Back To Top    #20

Good deal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast