Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand coming out of intex filter backwash?

1. Back To Top    #1
    B.A. Okla.

Sand coming out of intex filter backwash?

A little over a month into our second season with an intex sand filter. It's never been open since new. My wife backwashed it yesterday in to the dog's little pool, why I don't know and don't really care to know but there was a bunch of sand there. Just a regular ~10" high plastic kiddie pool with 40-50% coverage of its bottom with sand.

I'm going to disconnect it and open it up today to see if it still has a good amount of sand, it seems like it needs backwashing a lot more frequently than what I remember. Anything wrong I should look for? or do these just do that/normal?
    18' Summer escapes with original skimmer + intex pump + intex sand filter w/ Zeolite, Intex SWG. 1x ecosaver 50sqft solar panel with dedicated pump.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: Sand coming out of intex filter backwash?

It should not be losing sand either in filter or backwash mode. Does it lose any sand in filter mode? You may want to open up the multi-port valve and check the spider gasket. Did the filter stay out over the winter? If so you may need to check the laterals and stand pipe for freeze damage.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!