FC levels Unchanged

Aug 7, 2012
This is my tale of shame.

Our 33ft round pool went uncovered this past winter and the filter/pump was not winterized or protected from the brutal season we had here in OH. It was a mess. We drained almost all the water and cleaned all the debris out and refilled. Our filter was shooting sand into the pool. We disassembled it to find some damaged parts which we ordered and replaced to fix the filter. They are now running efficiently. In the meantime, the new water sat for a couple of weeks becoming very green. (We also have a large family of tree frogs that have taken residence in our pool)

When the new filter parts arrived this past Wednesday, and we were able to start circulating and filtering the water, these were our startup readings:

CYA: Less than 20 (zero)
TA: 80
Calcium: 90
FC: 0
pH:8.2

I added 2.5 lbs of BioGuard lo 'n slo I had on hand to lower the pH and then began shocking to a FC of 10. Was brushing and moving water as best I could.

Thursday I added 4lbs of Stabelizer to start raising the CYA but stopped at that amound because I thought it best to keep vacuuming and backwashing to get the yuck out.

It's very difficult to get a good cleaning done without going into the pool, so yesterday, I went in. I was able to get a lot of thick algae up from the middle of the pool. it was REALLY heavy and thick. Because the water is so cloudy and green, its difficult to see if I got it all up but I think I made a pretty good effort.

The FC level hasn't been changing and the water still looks the same in the past 24 hours. Should my FC level be dropping if it is doing its job and attacking the algae? Could I have some other issues?

This Morning's Numbers:
FC 10
TA 100
pH 7.5
CYA less than 20.

Thanks in advance for any advice and help!

Always a good idea to go back to a basic premise.

Chlorine is consumed by sunlight on your pool and organics in your pool. You have both so it is a fact that your FC is being consumed. There are no other issues that can alter this basic premise so chalk it up to testing error, math error or something but be assured you are consuming chlorine.
Thursday I added 4lbs of Stabelizer to start raising the CYA but stopped at that amound because I thought it best to keep vacuuming and backwashing to get the yuck out.
What did that addition bring your CYA to?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.