Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Who says the bees are disappearing?

1. Back To Top    #1

Who says the bees are disappearing?

anybody have any ideas to discourage this? they will leave when it rains (c'mon monsoons!) but that could be a couple of weeks yet.

There is plenty of other water nearby - a bird bath, a large dog/toad water, and two livestock troughs, but it seems they really like the clean chlorinated pool water a LOT!

They kind of go away for a short while if I spend a half hour splashing and making the water choppy, but it still nerve-wracking to do my backstroke laps. they are quite stupid and fall in all the time. and like a cow stuck in the mud, they are NEVER grateful to be rescued.
    somewhere around 6,800 gal 18 x 4 foot round Intex Ultra Frame AG, finished filling August 29, 2013. toy pump w/ "A" cartridge up and running next day --- July 2015 upgraded to Krystal Clear 3000 GPH pump and 16" sand filter --- May 2016 Intex auto cleaner and in July salt system and Hayward skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Who says the bees are disappearing?

Borates will often drive away insects, though I am not 100% sure it works with bees.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

That's a herd! I'd almost hate to have to kill them.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

It seems they like SOMETHING in that water. Have you tried sugar water in a pie pan placed a few feet away?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Call a bee-keeper and maybe then can round them up for a move.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Wow, I remembered posting this last year but I didn't realize I never answered the replies. I am embarrassed and apologize!

I went looking for the post because it is that time of year again and they are back in the same numbers.

JasonLion I will read further on borates - I assume you meant as used here as part of the water chemistry. I know there is a specific "advanced" topic on that somewhere.

woodyp I don't really want to kill them as I assume they would just be replaced fairly soon by a new hive. This is not a developed area, it is pretty much just nature and any void would likely soon be filled. heh

duraleigh I have not tried that, I am thinking about it. I do have three humming bird feeders out and they get a few bees, but I think they are after water (this is Arizona in June, our driest time of year). They tend to crowd around any source of moisture this time of year. We get a lot of wasps too. I don't remember them doing this with my first pool 10 years ago. I hesitate to add another attractant such as "food" - I am afraid instead of luring them away from the pool it would draw more of them.

Butterfly I am not sure where they are coming from, I am on a ranch with a lot of potential wild hives and a lot of distance from waters. They could be coming from miles away. Or however far they will travel. We used to have a hive in a tree nearby but they don't seem to be there any longer.

Anybody else have any experience with this or ideas?
    somewhere around 6,800 gal 18 x 4 foot round Intex Ultra Frame AG, finished filling August 29, 2013. toy pump w/ "A" cartridge up and running next day --- July 2015 upgraded to Krystal Clear 3000 GPH pump and 16" sand filter --- May 2016 Intex auto cleaner and in July salt system and Hayward skimmer

7. Back To Top    #7

I removed one last year, i called every bee keeper and they wanted 400.00 to remove them, i removed them, may they R.I.P. You have to remove everythibg there from the bees then i used sprayed on kilz on the area, they never came back..
    13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Jandy Automation /w IAqualink
    Autopilot SWG
    Jandy 2.0 HP VSP, Filter Cartridge
    Taylor (FAS-DPD K-2600, Pool Surface: Plaster

8. Back To Top    #8

Please don't kill the bees! There is currently a great problem with diminishing numbers of bees in nature and something is killing them off.

Without the bees we won't get pollination in our gardens and it potentially can ruin our food supply.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

9. Back To Top    #9

Once bees locate a water source, they stick with it. Even if you put a water trough out just for them, they'll still go to the pool. You'd need to cover the pool 100% so they have absolutely no access to the water and then place some other water source nearby for them to discover before you reopen. Or kill 'em all. And killing them is such a waste. Having a bunch of bees nearby will make your garden and your trees blossom and bloom like you wouldn't believe.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

This what I told the bee keepers in Florida, come and remove them alive, nope 400.00 to remove them. They were in my attack They started making honey combs...they had to go...
    13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Jandy Automation /w IAqualink
    Autopilot SWG
    Jandy 2.0 HP VSP, Filter Cartridge
    Taylor (FAS-DPD K-2600, Pool Surface: Plaster