Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: back from vacation and algae entered

1. Back To Top    #1

back from vacation and algae entered

Came back from a 3 day vacation and there was thin layer of algae evenly throughout entire pool surface. My cya was about 40 so I brought the FC up to 16-20 and kept it there all day. I brushed the entire pool twice. The FC level only dropped a little once and I immediately replenished it. My pump and vacuum have been running the entire time. The same night i checked the FC was at 17 right after sunset and right before sunrise it was exactly the same. So everything is passing like i'm out of the woods. My only concern is that when i brushed my pool this morning again i can still see algae coming up.
    Is this old algae that is dead and just needs to be filtered out? Or do I still have algae?
    Should I keep the FC at shock levels for another day?
    And after I let the FC levels fall, at what level is safe for swimming? In other words, with a CYA of 40, what is the highest level of FC that is safe for swimming?
    26k gallons IG painted Plaster
    Hayward Swimclear Cartridge filter model ST1152 1.5V 1A
    A. O. Smith Pump 2.2HP 3450RPM (runs 5hrs/day)
    Vacuum model BY06-09 3/4HP 3450RPM (runs 2hrs/day)
    Manteca, Ca.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: back from vacation and algae entered

Generally we say it is safe to swim up to normal shock level for your CYA; but, this assumes the pool is clear enough to see the bottom.

You should continue the SLAM process until you pass the three criteria to determine that you are done. See red lines in my sig.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I am passing all three phases. My water is clear however, only when I brush it is when I see the algae.

4. Back To Top    #4

So even though i look through to the bottom of the pool and it is clean and clear when I brush it i can see the algae or maybe its dirt clouds around the brush.
    So should I keep slamming until i brush it and nothing shows up?
    Manteca, Ca.

5. Back To Top    #5

If you pass all three of hte slam criteria, then the algae that you are stirring up should be dead. If its not dead, then you should not be passing the OCLT and the CCs.
    Why dont you just vacuum it out with your vacuum?
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

my vacuum has been running non stop since i started this process. So I am assuming the algae i am stirring up is dead since i am passing the OCLT and I have no CC's. I guess it will just take a little longer for the vacuum to get it all. I kept the FC at shock levels for an additional day just in case and hopefully all the dead algae will be gone by tomorrow.
    Manteca, Ca.