Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this causing my leak? Either way how do i patch them?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this causing my leak? Either way how do i patch them?

I have lost an inch or more a couple of days in a row. My task for today was to try and figure it out and lo and behold i spotted two tears on my steps. I squirted a drop of dye above it and it seemed to stay in that same area (it was a little windy and pool was not quite still).

I assume i need to get these patched up whether they are my only leaking area anyway so is there a common practice for patching vinyl liners? Any special considerations because of the location near the corner of the step? Should i do both spots in one large patch or individual ones? (there is a small area in between the two that isn't ripped but looks "stretched".

I will post pics separately from my phone in the next post.
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is this causing my leak? Either way how do i patch them?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403365833.435572.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1403365841.960954.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first pic shows both rips .... one on each end. The second just shows the larger rip ... which ironically did not have the dye drawn towards it.

The smaller rip is more on the edge of the step so i guess it makes sense that a rip like that may leak more.
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: Is this causing my leak? Either way how do i patch them?

Many times you really need a syringe to squirt the dye slowly at the area you think there is a leak. I was fooled by my pool a few weeks ago but once I used a syringe and slowly shot the dye, I could see the leak.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,