Re: Poolskim installation - not sure if possible or not?

Jul 14, 2013
Matawan, NJ

Hi I have two returns in my pool so I was gonna hook this up to one. Does this reduce the flow of water back to the pool or does the same amount of circulation still occur ? Also still trying to decide on this vs. The solar breeze. Anybody have experience with both? Also obviously when the pump is off in the overnight hours this will not collect debris that may fall into the pool. My pump is set to come on around 1030 am So I think the solar breeze might be better for my needs since I want to be able to wake up in the morning and get right into pool without having to clean anything without having to run the pump additional time.

Thanks

I dont have any personal experience with either of these. However there have been quite a few posts lately about the pool skim and folks having trouble connecting to a return. As it turns out, the pool skim has a metric size thread part on it, so its been a challenge for a few.
THe pool skim does not restrict the return flow though.

Cant comment at all about the solar breeze.

I bought a poolskim about a month ago and am pretty happy with it. Easy to hook up. The threading worked fine, so maybe they have recently resolved that issue. I did swap out my regular "eye ball" returns for the slotted kind to get more of a circular flow around the perimeter. This seemed to improve the results as well.

Hi I have two returns in my pool so I was gonna hook this up to one. Does this reduce the flow of water back to the pool or does the same amount of circulation still occur ? Also still trying to decide on this vs. The solar breeze. Anybody have experience with both? Also obviously when the pump is off in the overnight hours this will not collect debris that may fall into the pool. My pump is set to come on around 1030 am So I think the solar breeze might be better for my needs since I want to be able to wake up in the morning and get right into pool without having to clean anything without having to run the pump additional time.

Thanks

I don't see how it would reduce total flow back to the pool. There will be a change in circulation since the water moving through the pool skim will come out parallel to the wall and will also be flowing through a larger outlet because of the design of he pool skim. Your other return may also be affected because you may need to restrict the flow in order to optimize the strength of the skimming (more flow through pool skim return = greater Venturi effect = stronger skimming).

The effectiveness of the Pool Skim will depend largely on the size and shape of your pool and the location of your returns. My pool is L shaped with the built in skimmer mid way along the vertical part of the L. There are no returns on that wall so I get a bit of a dead zone in the corner with my Pool Skim. I am still happy with it because it provides skimming that I lose with the automatic cleaner. The Solar Breeze would probably be more effective in my case, but I couldn't bring myself to spend that much money on it.

I have a pool skim on my AGP and it does not reduce the return flow. It takes a little trial and error to adjust the position to get maximum effectiveness.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.