dirty water comes back into pool while vacuuming?

May 30, 2013
Syosset, NY
I posted a few weeks ago about the lack of return water and the fact that I haven't cleaned my DE filter since I bought the house (3 years ago). So I took it apart following the sticky here (THANK YOU!) and cleaned - there was about 40+lbs of DE that I took out. Hosed everything down, put it back together turned the pump on, mixed about 4+lbs of DE in a bucket and poured into the skimmer and boom - worked like a charm!

So I wanted to keep the filter on for a entire week and let it work. Last weekend I decided to give vacuuming a try since there was a lot of dirt on the floor of the pool. After about 10 min of vacuuming though, I noticed that the water returning to the pool was basically what I was vacuuming! I stopped immediately, backwashed it and then put in another 4+lbs of DE (this time closer to 5). Tried to vacuum again during the week and same result - dirty return water.

Did I possibly not put the filter back together properly? Any other idea on whats causing this??

Thanks,
dr

Could be one or more things. Bad spider gasket in your multiport valve is the likely cause since it only happens when you are using the waste selection. That could have had some impact on your low return flow prior to cleaning as well.

If there is some chance that you turned the multiport valve from 'filter' to 'Vac' or another setting while the pump was running that is the likely cause. Changing the selection without turning of the pump off is bad for the gasket.

Since you just had the filter apart there could be a slim chance of the following causes. But these most likely would cause DE to be blowing back into your pool with the filter running as well. If you don't notice DE coming into pool from returns when pump starts, don't consider these likely causes:
- Cracked/brittle o-ring on the outlet elbow (pipe where the top manifold sends water out).
- Grids not aligned properly, which could allow some bypass where the each grid goes into the manifolds.
- Small holes or tears in grids.

Any other idea on whats causing this??
Could it be that your filter is simply doing what it is supposed to do? It sounds like it is RAPIDLY filling with debris and, now that you have re-established good flow, the clogged filter is simply bypassing the pressure on the multi-port Spring and blowing out unfiltered and debris laden water.

Despite that rather convoluted guess of an explanation, the proof of that happening is really easy.

1. Clean and backwash.

2. As soon as your filter starts to spew debris into the pool, clean and backwash again.

3. Repeat. If I am guessing correctly, the time in between clogging the filter will get longer and longer as you clean out more and more junk.

Do you think your pool can be that dirty? Got a pic?

Could it be that your filter is simply doing what it is supposed to do? It sounds like it is RAPIDLY filling with debris and, now that you have re-established good flow, the clogged filter is simply bypassing the pressure on the multi-port Spring and blowing out unfiltered and debris laden water.

Despite that rather convoluted guess of an explanation, the proof of that happening is really easy.

1. Clean and backwash.

2. As soon as your filter starts to spew debris into the pool, clean and backwash again.

3. Repeat. If I am guessing correctly, the time in between clogging the filter will get longer and longer as you clean out more and more junk.

Do you think your pool can be that dirty? Got a pic?

I hope the filter is operating properly!! Honestly had no idea of multi-port spring. I will try this tomorrow am first thing. After I backwash I do need to add in another 4 lbs of DE and then vacuum - correct?

Thanks!
dr

After I backwash I do need to add in another 4 lbs of DE and then vacuum - correct?
The explanation was overly-complex.....I'm sorry.

It sounds like your pool is really dirty, it is sucking up a lot of debris very fast....clogging the filter. This can allow the multiport to release debris back to the pool.

The important thing is the fix. That is simply to keep cleaning and backwashing and filtering. You're just gonna' have to do it a lot...over and over...until the pool get's clean enough so that the filter doesn't clog so often. Keep us posted.

You could just need a little sealant around the o-ring on the outlet elbow. Also you don't need to added the full amount of DE after back washing the filter. You never really remove all of the DE during back washing. What your doing is basically just recharging your DE

Sent from my iPh

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.