Algae on liner.

Jun 9, 2013
Oklahoma City / OK
I'm having a terrible problem getting rid of the algae on the liner. My water is crystal clear, chemicals are balanced....but there is a green "film" on the floor and wall of the liner.
Ive tried brushing several times to filter it out. Ive added pods and cellulose to help my sand filter. I'll back wash and green will wash out of filter. But the green always either settles or grows back to the floors/walls of the liner.
Ive brushed and super shocked, which seems to help for a day or two, then it returns. Ive tried running some extra 3" pucks to the skimmer as well to up the chlorine.

Last night I vacced to waste then brushed, added cellulose and let it filter. Still a little bit cloudy this morning but I'm waiting to see if the green film returns.

Any ideas?
We've had a pretty good amount of rain over the last few weeks. No gully washers, rather a steady normal rain. Ive always made sure to shock after a rain. Its been pretty windy and of course Pollen is high.

Is it time for an algaecide?

Thank you!

You need chlorine in your pool....not filtration. You can never filter green algae from your pool....you must kill it with chlorine.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. That'll give you a good start and then we'll need some current test results to help you get into the SLAM process above.

Water test results:

Free Avail Chlorine= 5+
Total Avail Chlorine= 5+
PH= 7.4
Total Alk= 90
Cyanuric Acid= 90
Total dissolved solids= 1000
Phos= <100

As I stated, I vacuumed 98% of the green film to waste and brushed last night. Its mostly clear today, just a tiny bit cloudy.
I'm thinking that the rain is feeding the algae growth. Maybe if I continue to shock it immediately after a rain I can keep the green out. At this point I'm not so sure I need to SLAM the pool.

What do you guys think?

1. You need to get a proper test kit. We don't usually trust pool store results. Especially on the CYA.
2. Sounds like you need to SLAM your pool. That is a process not a product. It will be very difficult with CYA is truly 90.

Have you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry in pool school yet? It may take a few reads and it will begin to sink in.

I'm not sure why its that high either. I replaced at least a 1/4 of my water this year in a 25k gl pool. This was tested at the pool store and my test strip read very high for CYA as well but from what I can tell from test strips, I was thinking more around the 40-50 range.

They tested it for me about a month and a half ago, when I opened it, in which I replaced the water at that time, and CYA tested out at 100.

- - - Updated - - -

The last time I put any stabilizer in the pool was this time last year.

I guess I'll need to get my own test kit. lol

I'm reading pool school and I think Im starting to get an idea.

CYA is too high, so chlorine is becoming ineffective. Even though I haven't added any stabilizer, my over use of pucks are adding it and its not dissipating.I wonder if all the Power Powder Plus Ive been adding is contributing to the problem? I'm not even sure what type of chlorinator is in that stuff. I just use it cause they recommend it.

Should I not be using 3" pucks any longer?

Also what should I be shocking with? Just liquid bleach?

OK, 12 years with a fraking pool and now my mind may be blown.

Do I have this right? After a SLAM, does TFPC recommend that you only use liquid bleach to keep your pool chlorinated? Does this mean, no more pucks? no more shock powder?

Weird thing is, this is what Ive always used and Ive not had this problem. Ive never had a single year where CYA has been high. Ive added it and by the end of the year its about time for more. What the heck is going on I wonder?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes you need a test kit. :D

Sounds like a lot of reading in pool school may be needed. You haven't said how you are chlorinating. You mention "shock" is this a product you are using?

Ive been using Leslie's 3" jumbo tabs as my normal, daily chlorinator, due to the algae, Ive been putting 4 in the floater and 1 or 2 in the skimmer to try and raise my chlorine, to keep algae down. Ive been using Leslie's Power Powder Plus as my "shock" after a rain or after brushing to try to help kill the algae.

From what Ive read so far, it all seems counter productive.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, 12 years with a fraking pool and now my mind may be blown.

Do I have this right? After a SLAM, does TFPC recommend that you only use liquid bleach to keep your pool chlorinated? Does this mean, no more pucks? no more shock powder?

Well, yes -mostly. You can use other forms of chlorine sometimes, as long as you understand the effect they have on your water.

Solid/granular forms of chlorine contain things other than chlorine and can have side effects, like having too high CYA or CH and needing to drain to fix the problem.

Most of us use bleach/liquid chorine or an SWG. Lots of folks use an automated pump for the bleach/liquid chlorine. Lots of us just add the necessary amount of bleach/liquid chlorine daily by pouring from a jug.

And most of us are pool snobs and have very, very sparkly pools :D

Keep reading. You may decide to head back to the Pool Store or you may decide to learn how to manage your own pool with confidence and common sense. The more you read, the more likely common sense will take over.

Yes, this makes sense and I think I like it!

But it sounds like a lot of trouble to change over right now. According to the PoolMath calculator, I'd have to replace 56% of my water just to get the CYA to 40....I still don't think thats even low enough. Thats over 13,000 gallons. I just had the CYA double checked at another location and I'm sure this high CYA is sue to the overuse of tabs and shock. I think I may start this system next year.

For now, I think I'll be backing off of my tabs, replace a little water and go get some algaecide. I'll just try to get by for the rest of the year.

Well, yes -mostly. You can use other forms of chlorine sometimes, as long as you understand the effect they have on your water.

Solid/granular forms of chlorine contain things other than chlorine and can have side effects, like having too high CYA or CH and needing to drain to fix the problem.

Most of us use bleach/liquid chorine or an SWG. Lots of folks use an automated pump for the bleach/liquid chlorine. Lots of us just add the necessary amount of bleach/liquid chlorine daily by pouring from a jug.

And most of us are pool snobs and have very, very sparkly pools :D

How much liquid chlorine does the average pool go through a month?

My 30K pool is now at about 3 gallons of 12.5% per week with my CYA bumped to 40. So 12ish per month. I've been getting them for $2.50 a gallon. $30 a month plus cost of daily self testing which is maybe $5-10 a month.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.