A few questions

tjwill

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 27, 2011
There are a few minor clarifications I'd like to ask from the experts. My numbers this morning were as follows:

FC: 2.5
CC: 0
TA: 80
CH: 270
CYA: 25

I have three questions:

1) I know my CYA is low. My SWG has no problem maintaining FC at this level though. I generally run it at 30-35% and maintain a FC range of 2.5-4.0. I think the VSP helps here. Is there any other motivation to increase the CYA?
2) When I measured the TA, after the change of color, I had some particles in the solution. I've never noticed this before, but did the test a second time and the same thing happened. Does this tell me anything? For example, it's possible that one of my chemicals is older and I'd like to make sure that it's not unreliable. Also, just curious.
3) I accidentally did my chlorine test in the container that is not labelled "Chlorine Only" (i.e. the one I use for all my other tests). Does having this happen one time cause any issue? Is there anything I should do to clean it out properly?

Thanks

Tom

+1 what he said about the wear.

What kit do you have and how old are the chemicals ??

To clean out the container you used for the chlorine test you might use mild soapy water but just rinsing it with tap water if it's plastic should be enough.

1) There are many small advantages to increasing CYA. The largest is that your SWG will last more than twice as long. Your chemistry will also be much more stable and much less prone to getting into problems.
2) Not important. Various things can precipitate out. That is rare, but not at all unheard of.
3) No problem. Over time the FAS-DPD chlorine test will cause the tube to get cloudy. Keeping a separate tube for that avoids problems reading the other tests through the clouded tube. One use won't make enough difference to notice, only many many uses.

And that it says chlorine only is really only a way to charge you an extra 50 cents for the label. Oh, and it's not graduated to do a pH test (44 ml) as long as you rinse it after each test, it really doesn't make any difference. When my tube gets a little cloudy stained, I just get a piece of paper towel and wipe it clean--clean as new!

so your SWG is running at 30 to 35% and your maintaining enough FC for your CYA levels....but how long are you running your pump? Also things may change when the weather gets hot and really sunny, and your water gets warming, your current program may no longer be able to keep up.

Thanks for all of the feedback. The wear on the SWG makes sense, so I'll start adding some CYA. My VSP runs all the time at a lower speed, except a couple hours a day at high speed, so I think that's what let's me run the SWG at a manageable level. Less wear seems better, though.

Good inputs on the other two, as well. I won't sweat either one.

Happy swimming to all.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.