Hi all. New to the forum and to pools. I recently bought a home that already had a 4ft x 18ft round pool. When we opened it up the water was green.. I've added probably around 15 gallons of shock/bleach/chlorine and it's finally clear. But, the numbers are still off. I am using a Taylor K-2006 test kit. I ran out of the reagent for the CYA test, but last time I did it, day before yesterday we were at 30.. And the day before that as well. Originally started at zero. Added stabilizer and it brought it up.
Assuming it is still 30 ( I will most likely get more today ), my FC is 7.5 and CC is 0.5 right now.
Thursday it tested:
B/c of the CC I shocked it again over night. Those numbers were taken around 2pm thursday. Before sundown wife tested the FC and it was at 15. So we knew it was at shock level.
We weren't able to test it again until about the same time yesterday (2 pm Friday). FC was 5.6 and CC had come down to 0.4. Couldn't test CYA. So I decided to shock it again about 3pm. I went to work, wife was out so it didn't get tested again b4 the sun went down.
I just tested, and got the numbers above. CC went back up.
I will be home all day today tending to this pool b/c I would like the kids to be able to use it by Monday, if not tomorrow. I am going to add more bleach and bring it up to shock level again. How often should I be checking it? The pool is out in the open so gets sun pretty much all day.
We also left a chlorine tab in the floating thingy since thursday night. Figured it would help minimize chlorine loss while we weren't home. Should I leave it, or take it out?
With the CC hovering around 0.5, and the water clear, is it safe to let the kids go in if it's still there in a day or two or should I make them wait till I am zero?
Thanks Appreciate any advise.. And yes, I'm using the pool calculator