need help on chlorine , stabilizer and algicide

Jun 27, 2013
my pool is approx 85000litres

so my chlorine is at 1.5ppm how many litres of chlorine do i need to raise it 1ppm

also my stabilizer level is 50ppm, should i remove the stabilizing pucks so that the levels drop? also should i place is floater or in skimmer i notice in skinner they get used up quicker

how often should i use algicide and shock the pool?

thx

Use PoolMath to do the dosage calculations for you.

Your CYA at the top of the recommended range, so you have to stop using them. Never put them in the skimmer without the pump running. Your CYA will not drop just because you stop using pucks.

With proper FC levels, you never have to "shock" or use algaecides.

Responses are in red and blue

my pool is approx 85000litres

so my chlorine is at 1.5ppm how many litres of chlorine do i need to raise it 1ppmThis all depends on the chlorine strength your using. There is 6% and 8.25% bleach, and 10% and 12.5% liquid chlorine. Either way, the pool math tab on the top of the page can help you with that. 1.5 or even raising it to 2.5 PPM is to low for you 50 CYA. You've been here since 2013, I assume your familiar with the CYA/chlorine chart?

also my stabilizer level is 50ppm, should i remove the stabilizing pucks so that the levels drop? also should i place is floater or in skimmer i notice in skinner they get used up quickerYou should remove the pucks so it doesn't go any higher, but the levels don't just "drop" they get reduced only when you add fresh new water either after draining, backwashing or splashing out...replacing water after evaporation won't lower it any either. You should not place them anywhere, at 50 CYA you should not be using them anymore unless you are using a SWG and your trying to get higher CYA levels.

how often should i use algicide and shock the pool? Usually, and with proper care you can never need to shock, and algicide is not necessary or really recommended using the TFP method.

thx

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok
I got my fc to 4ppm. Roughly how often r u guys adding chlorine. I know depends on how hot it is out and how many people using the pool etc...

You need this: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/165-getting-started

Most people test daily and add daily. The cheap kit from walmart, homedepot ... will keep you from running to the pool store daily but it is what it is, a cheap kit that will do some of the needed testing but not all.
4ppm FC is the lower limit for your level of CYA. You want to try and keep it around 6ppm and not let it get below 4.
If you know you are going to have people over or a party then that day you might want to go to 8 or more depending on your experience. This is where keeping a log with short notes on temperature, number of swimmers, sun-rain ... comes in handy. You can "see" in your numbers what was changed from one day to the next with a number of people in the pool. You can tweak your pool chemistry in relation to what you've learned from other "swim parties".

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.