LifeTime Supporter
May 29, 2014
Midland TX
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am thinking about getting a solar cover for my 18' Round above ground pool. I Live in west Texas and we have a lot of wind. Is there any chance that the cover would stay on. I would hate to buy one and come home to find it wrapped around a mesquite bush 100 yards out in the pasture.
How much wind does it take to peel one off of a pool?

Welcome to the Forum Ric,

I live here too (out in the county), so I know what you mean. I have a six ft steel fence and we still get plenty enough wind to peel mine right out of our in ground pool.

Short answer is wind and these don't mix too well at all. You can put water on top of them with the hose and it will help a little, but on the right days which are frequent, it takes a good bit more than that. This. coupled with the fact that my dog walked out on to ours has just about made us give up. They do great things for the pool, but they are an extreme hassle IMO. Sorry I don't have a better answer....

I don't do it for wind reasons, but I buy a cover a bit larger than the perimeter of my pool. i let the cover extend over the rail and clamp it on in a few places and I've never had a problem. But like I said I may not get as much wind as you are talking about - you'd want to be sure the wind couldn't catch it and tear it out of the clamp (we definitely get some windy days/nights and that has never happened on mine).

I know other members have had luck with a solar cover cut per normal (inside the rails) and putting old bleach bottles filled with water on top as weights. That might work better for you than clamps since the cover would not extend above the water and sort of invite the wind to catch it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.