Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine consumption and TA

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine consumption and TA

My chlorine consumption has doubled this year. Last year on a sunny day I used 2ppm every day and this year it is about 4.

FC 6.5
    CC is never more then .5
    TA 120
    CYA 30
    pH 7.5

I don't remember what my CYA was last year and that might be the reason I am consuming more chlorine. But I sure it was withing range. I added CYA to bring it up to 40 last night. So I guess my question is "Do I have some hidden organics or is it because my CYA is 30 and maybe it was 40 or 50 last year?"

Also wondering about the TA. Pool school recommends TA 70-90+. Is there any benefit to reducing it?
    1) The size of your pool in gallons 4440.
    2) The type filter you have is an Intex 2500 gph and it has a re-useable fabric filter
    3) If your pool is an AG (above ground)
    4) Intex 15 by 48 metal frame.
    5) If you know, tell us the size pump 2500gph and the size (flow rate) of your filter.
    Southeastern, Pennsylvania.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine consumption and TA

A high Ta will tend to make Ph rise faster. You may need to go to 50 cya after seeing what 40 does. My experience is that 10 points of increase in cya ain't that much. You have a SWG on that pool?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Performing and OCLT test (see Pool School) will help confirm organics. Raising CYA like you are may pretty much answer the question, too.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

No I don't have a saltwater generator. But since I raised the CYA will see what this week is like. I'll do a OCLT as well just to be safe. Thanks guys!
    2) The type filter you have is an Intex 2500 gph and it has a re-useable fabric filter
    5) If you know, tell us the size pump 2500gph and the size (flow rate) of your filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Just an update. So I never got around to doing the OCLT test, but I did raise the CYA. I didn't see any notable change. So today I got in and ran the vacuum. I tapped the seem around the perimeter of the bottom of the pool and some green came out. So I grabbed a small brush and and scrubbed the seem. It was horrible. When I was done the pool was the dirtiest it has ever been. So I vacuumed and slammed!

6. Back To Top    #6

Chlorine consumption and TA

Good job ! Might have just found the source of the higher FC loss. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.