Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Comments on Specific Hayward Pumps

1. Back To Top    #1

Comments on Specific Hayward Pumps

I have 30 year old 20,000 gal fibre glass pool, the 3/4hp A.O Smith after 10 years finally went with the bearings shot. Pulled motor and found the impeller in the Hayward SP 1600 had a severe crack. Couldn't find a replacement part in San Antonio, called Hayward and told the impeller or any parts for 1600 aren't made anymore, need to buy an updated drive kit (diffuser, impeller, seal plate, motor mounting plate) for about $100 and would still need other gaskets. Add the new motor and you are at $300 ballpark.

I can get the following Hayward pumps/motors on line for about that price:
    1. Super Pool or SPII
    2. Maxflow or MF XL

Anyone familiar with these four. Comments? I know there are more efficient pumps, but it is very possible pool area will be a vegetable garden in a year or two...Us, the children and grandchildren have all used it, but interest has waned; and being in San Antonio the almost 12 month maintenance, time and cost are problematic.

Also any comments on preferred websites to purchase the above.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Comments on Specific Hayward Pumps

1. Never heard of Super Pool but I have heard of a SuperPump. The SuperPump is a smaller pump than the SuperII.
    2. MaxFlo is a good pump and very efficient. The XL is the current generation.

As long as you don't have any high flow rate requirements, the MaxFlo is a good choice.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Comments on Specific Hayward Pumps

I would like to point out that I would strongly recommend going with a 2-speed pump regardless of the model of pump you select.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!