Free Chlorine issues!!!!

Jun 20, 2014
Houma, la
I just got my pool last weekend so I am a total newbie here! So I been reading test adjust test...
TH: 100
FC: 0
pH: 6.8
TA: 40
CYA: 30-50
(thats everything my test does)

This was my last result. I just cant seem to get my chlorine to do anything!!! My water is nice and clear but I feel like if I dont get this fixed now it wont stay that way. I have a 1" chlorine tablet in the filter and one in the floaty thing and replace every other day. I even bought some chlorinating granules and added a bunch of that. I have some super select shock treatment but I am not sure if that will fix the one free chlorine issue I am having. Pool stores want me to buy this and that and I just want to know what I am doing! Does anybody know what is going on with my pool water and what I need to do to fix it?

The FC has been testing 0 for the last couple of days.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

What are you using to get those results? I am suspicious :suspect:

You need to keep adding liquid chlorine (bleach) until you have the appropriate FC level. BUT, that required FC level is a function of your CYA (see FC/CYA Chart) and you have not really narrowed that down.

You also need to get your pH back in the 7s.

I say all this, but I am not sure I trust any of those readings.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

What are you using to get those results? I am suspicious :suspect:

You need to keep adding liquid chlorine (bleach) until you have the appropriate FC level. BUT, that required FC level is a function of your CYA (see FC/CYA Chart) and you have not really narrowed that down.

You also need to get your pH back in the 7s.

I say all this, but I am not sure I trust any of those readings.

lol. I filled my pool put the chlornating 1" tablets (one in filter and one in floaty thing). Then I put in some hth pH plus to bring that up. Then I started adding the chlorinating granules (about 7 oz). That is all I have put in the pool water so far. So is liquid chlorine the same thing as the household bleach found at most stores?

I have some algae gaurd but I have not put it in yet because I was under the impression that I have to get everything blanced first.

Why dont you trust any of those readings? I test with the 3 way drip test thingy then I got the 6 way strip test kit.

Thank you so much for your reply!

Suspicion confirmed ... we do not trust test strips, they are not reliable. We also do not trust pool store testing.

I suggest you invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits if you want to truly be in control of your pool.

I also am using the OTO test kit and its giving me the same readings.... I have not brought it to a pool place at all. I just dont understand why I cant get the free chroline up?

Welcome to TFP!
bosshammer said:
So is liquid chlorine the same thing as the household bleach found at most stores?
Basically, yes. Both household bleach and liquid chlorine contain the same active ingredient, sodium hypochlorite, but in various strengths. Some people refer to the products with a higher concentration of sodium hypochlorite (say 10% and above) as "liquid chlorine". Most store bought bleach contains 6 - 8.25% sodium hypochlorite. I, along with many members on the forum, use the 8.25% bleach.

Of more importance is to use only plain, unscented liquid bleach without any thickeners.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.