Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calcium hardness and vinyl liner

1. Back To Top    #1

Mebane, NC

Calcium hardness and vinyl liner

This has nothing to do with my other thread and pool issue

So I now understand after reading here as well as other documentation that CH is not something people with vinyl liners need to worry about unless it is too high.

Here's the thing that others might like to know as well.

I had a pool store employee tell me, after they agreed of the need for CH in plaster and concrete pools, that you do need it in vinyl pools too because without the CH the liner will get brittle.

I just smiled and nodded. lol

Am I correct in that that statement was bunk?
    18360 gallon; Vinyl IG; Pentair SuperFlo High Performance Pump w/1HP Century Centurium motor; Hayward S-200 sand filter; Dolphin Supreme M4 cleaning robot; Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Calcium hardness and vinyl liner

You are correct, the pool store person was wrong.

The liner has no problem with low CH levels. It is low PH that is the most common cause of the liner getting brittle.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Calcium hardness and vinyl liner

I think the answer is that there is no REALLY definitive answer.

We (the forum) all know that too much CH in any pool is a bad thing......that's easy enough

We also know that too little CH in a plaster pool is not good in that the water can actually "steal" CH from the plaster. So, we generally say about 250 ppm minimum for a plaster pool.

It is not completely clear to me (but maybe others?) that there is an absolute minimum CH for Vinyl pools.....and if there is, I am not sure we definitively know why or even why not.

The forum has pretty much taken the position there is no minimum but I am not sure we have ever received validation from a manufacturer of liners.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School