Testing my pool

Jun 4, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Hi, newbie here, I was asked to post my test levels to help solve my green and cloudy pool.
First of all, the only tests that I have currently are OTO type chlorine test, PH, and Total Alkalinity. And the TA test is from my KH test kit that I use on my fish aquariums.
Last night I added two gallons of Bleach 5.25%
Pool : Vinyl 19790 Gallons IG.
Tested this morning.
Total Chlorine 0.5
PH 7.0
TA 71.6

So obviously I need to do a few things.

I'm also running a Auto Chlorinator thing which has two pucks in it as of last night.
I'm going shopping at lunch time for a large quantity of Baking Soda, Wash Soda and Borax( that is if I can find them) and more bleach.
How much of these chemicals will I need?
I will also be looking for affordable test kits that measure some of the other parameters. Anybody know where in Canada to get these other test kits. Like CYA, FC, etc.

thanks in advance

Siegfried Ziggy

If you added 2 gallons of 5.25% to 19790 gallons of water just last night, you should have gained 5.3 ppm chlorine. With just .5 ppm chlorine remaining this morning indicates algae or organics consuming your chlorine. 32 ounces (by weight) of washing soda should get you to 7.3 pH and 92 total alkalnity. A really good test kit is the Trouble Free kit, which can be found here

Siegfried,
Reading your first post again, I realize now that you do have algae (missed that the first time). You will probably have to add a lot more chlorine. How much is impossible to say without knowing your cyanuric acid level. Assuming zero cyanuric acid, take your free chlorine to 10 ppm and hold as close to that as possible. Check/add chlorine 2-3 times a day if possible. Brush 2-3 times a day also if possible. When the pool doe snot use any chlorine overnight, that would indicate that all the algae is dead. Water should turn milky at or before this point. Keep filtering 24/7 till water clears.

Wouldn't worry about the TA. When you raise the pH, it will go up some. I'd want to add some Borax or soda ash to move your pH up at least a little.

Without knowing your CYA, it's hard to recommend upper-end chlorine levels. If you've been using pucks, it's fair to assume it's really high, if that's not true, 20ppm may be a little high and you might change the following advice to 15ppm. I'd start by raising your chlorine to 20ppm by adding about 6.75 gallons of ultra bleach (6%) or about half that much liquid pool shock. About four hours later, check your chlorine level and add enough bleach to raise the chlorine back to 20ppm. After that, check and adjust at least every 8 hours. More often is better. Keeping the chlorine in there all of the time is the key. Download the bleachcalc program here Bleachcalc if you have a PC to make dosing calculations easier.

You can test those levels with a cheap kit by mixing three parts distilled water to one part pool water and testing the mixture. Your actual reading will be four times the indication on the test vial. In the US, Walmart carries a reasonable kit that will check CYA and alkalinity that sells for about $15, but you can't trust the CYA reading when your water is cloudy.

This post should probably be in the algae forum, and after you respond again, I'll move it there. Read my Algae Diary post there for my experiences this spring with clearing a green pool.

thank you for all of your tips.
The people at the store are going to look at me funny when I leave with 7 or 8 jugs of bleach.
I will also try to get Soda Ash and Baking soda. I know I can get the large quantity of Baking Soda at a 'Bulk Barn' store here, not sure about the Borax or Soda Ash yet.
I will also be checking a local pool store and Walmart for better test kits.
I believe that the Taylor Test Kit can't be sent to Canada yet (legally that is) and people on this forum are looking into that.
thanks again, I will keep you posted in the Algae section next time.

Taylor kits are sold in Canada. It is the Trouble Free kit that is still working out import/export issues. For Taylor kits in Canada contact Taylors Canadian master distributor, Lowry & Associates in Newmarket, Ontario (905-836-0505) or mlowry (at) lowryassociates.ca. The prices are said to be much higher than in the US.

thanks for the clarification on the Test Kits.
The one price I've seen it for here in Canada for the "Taylor 2005 Professional Test Kit" is $169.99cdn.
Another kit called Lamotte Test Kit is only $35. details: "Simple & accurate with color coded instructions and treatment charts. Free chlorine, total chlorine, bromine, PH, acid demand, total alkalinity. Model K1004. "
Is this Lamotte test kit any good?

What would "Acid Demand" be?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The K1004 kit won't test CYA, which is important to know. The Taylor 2005 kit has everything you need except that the chlorine test is the DPD test, which isn't quite as good as the FAS-DPD test (which we recommend). The Taylor K-2006 kit is the best of the Taylor kits, all the other kits we recommend are based on the exact same Taylor test reagents used in the K-2006 kit.

If you can find a seperate CYA test kit to go with the K1004 that would be a good economic compromize. If you are going to spend the money on the Taylor 2005, I would recommend looking hard for the K-2006, which should only be a little bit more expensive.

Siegfried said:
thanks for the clarification on the Test Kits.
The one price I've seen it for here in Canada for the "Taylor 2005 Professional Test Kit" is $169.99cdn.
Another kit called Lamotte Test Kit is only $35. details: "Simple & accurate with color coded instructions and treatment charts. Free chlorine, total chlorine, bromine, PH, acid demand, total alkalinity. Model K1004. "
Is this Lamotte test kit any good?

What would "Acid Demand" be?
LaMotte does make good kits but they all use the DPD test for chlorine which has some drawbacks. They do sell a separate FAS-DPD test kit, however (Kit 7514). IF you get that kit AND a 3368-ABC or a 7013/DL-51 OR a Pro250 kit (there are two models of this kit, one also includes tests for copper and iron) you will have the same functionality as a Taylor K-2005 kit. Acid demand is a test that approximates how much acid you need to lower the pH of the pool a certain amount. It is really only a rough guide and makes some assupmtions on other water parameters so, IMHO, is not that useful a test for the most part. You really want a kit that uses FAS-DPD tests for Free and combined chloirne and wil test pH, Total Alkalinity by drop count, Calcium Hardness (NOT total hardness) by drop count, and cynauric acid. Acid and Base demand tests are fine but not really that useful. If you have a problem with metals in your water then tests for iron and/or copper can be useful. Also an OTO total chlorine test is useful for quick daily checks on your total chlorine level (although test strips work for this particular application as well).

Seems like a good time to jump in and semi-hijack the thread.

I am still working at trying to ship the TF Test Kit to Canada. The bureaucractic maze is mind boggling. Without going into detail, let me say that, at this point, I have not hit an insurmaountable roadblock. I will continue to post as soon as info is available.

The prisons here in the US are generally disagreeable and filled with cranky folks.

Once I commit to shipping these kits, how are they up in Canada? :lol: :lol:

Okay, I've picked up 6 x 5 litre (1.32 Gallons) jugs of 5.25% bleach.
4kg of Wash Soda which converts to 8.82lbs and two boxes of Borax.
Plus about 9kg of baking soda (which is just shy of 20lbs)

What would be the best method to put all or portions of into the pool?
What should go in first ,second etc.?
It was stated earlier to put about 32 ounces (almost 1kg)of Wash Soda to get the ph and TA up.
My Chlorine test kit only goes to 5 or 6 or something. Not 20ppm!
Its a OTO test kit.

thanks for the help and pointers.

PS: i have not been in a jail so I couldn't tell you about the conditions.

With the pump running, I would put it all in the skimmer. Naturally, not all at once but introduced slowly so it travels freely back to the filter. From there it will be distributed evenly into your pool over a matter of a few hours.

The order is not critical but one thing you could do is put in half of each chemical, wait an hour or so, then introduce the other half. I personally don't think that's critical, either but it makes common sense to introduce all those chems slowly.

sunnydays said:
Is everything that you bought what you needed to add to your pool or did you just buy everything that you may need for the upcoming season?

I just bought it all. I have no idea how much of this stuff I will use during the season. You tell me.
It didn't cost much. A lot less then pool stores though, thats for sure!

Once I get a complete testing kit, then I will be able to determine how much of any one chemical I need to get the pool looking good on a regular basis.
But now, I need some guidance as to how much to put in for my pool size etc.
thanks

You really don't need anything but chlorine. I might add a pound of soda ash or a pound of borax to goose the pH up a little. With your chlorine at shock level your pH test won't be accurate, so don't add so much you've overshot it when the chlorine comes down.

Good morning,
Well, I added 15 litres (about 4 gallons) of bleach 5.25% last night, plus 32 oz of Wash Soda.
Before that my tests indicated 0.3ppm CL and PH7.0
After about 2 hours I tested again. >3.0 CL and PH 8.2 (my Chorine test, which uses OTO only goes to 3.0)

Does the shock level of chlorine make the PH test read higher or lower?

This morning, my test indicated >3.0CL and PH 8.0. Is there a way I can use this OTO test to indicate higher Chlorine concentrations?
The water is still cloudy in the deep end, clearing up a bit in the shallow end. Cloudiness does not appear to be green anymore.

What should be my next step?

thanks alot

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.