Random PH w/SWG question

AimeeH

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Apr 2, 2012
Columbia SC
From all of my reading and learning here, I would expect to see steady PH rise with an SWG but I don't. I test everything weekly and am always at 7.5 PH as far as I can tell. I even aerate a bit just for the cooling sprinkler effect. Have I just found a sweet spot with TA 70-80 range, CYA 60, CL always 5-6?

I test everything weekly and am always at 7.5 PH as far as I can tell. I even aerate a bit just for the cooling sprinkler effect. Have I just found a sweet spot with TA 70-80 range, CYA 60, CL always 5-6?
Please be careful, Aimee, as I suspect several marriage proposals are being PM'd to you as we speak.:cheers:

There are many of us on this forum that would "kill" to get our pools to act like that. I have no (reasonable) explanation but I can promise you many of us are envious. You may end up being the "Ruler" of TFP!!:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

You're funny duraleigh. No envy necessary as I have fought my algae battles too. I think I licked what I believe to have been mustard algae that started tormenting me last season and carried into opening this season. I know the SLAM routine but it kept coming back until I elevated to mustard shock level for over 24 hours...took the lights out etc.

But......the PH thing has me puzzled. I thought maybe I can't read colors well? Is my reagent not good? That is why I asked the question. Seriously it doesn't seem to rise. TA has seemed low(ish) with 7 drops to hot pink and one more drop turns it really red, so I say 70-80? But I haven't bothered to mess with it because PH stays at 7.5.

Water is up to 90 today so now I'm playing with my extensive supply of PVC parts to make a better cooler. PVC is like tinker toys for adults.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah.......and no PM's :)

My PH hasn't needed adjusting in years, and I have a SWG. I used two cups of acid three years ago upon opening in the spring. If you don't count that, it has been four years now since I added acid regularly.

Just out of curiosity, can you tell us the length of the pipe run from the SWG to the first return into your pool? Your lower TA probably helps to reduce the rate of pH rise from carbon dioxide outgassing but a longer pipe run might make it less likely to be outgassing undissolved chlorine gas. Also, what is your pump flow rate when you run the SWG?

chem geek..I'm estimating 25-30 feet of pipe from the pump to the closest return. This was me stretching a tape measure and stopping at 24 ft with a few feet left to go and that is a straight line which I'm sure the pipe goes straight to a point near the pool then has elbows so it could be even more than that. These nearest returns ate in the swimout steps in the deep end and are more like jet returns. I even turn those off sometimes to increase pressure to another return running the cooling sprinkler which would add SEVERAL more feet to the nearest return.

The pvc pipes coming out of the ground look to be 1.5". My owners manual says that with 1.5" pipes the flow rate is 50.76 GPM. I have no other way to measure it currently.

I have the SWG running at 60% with the pump timer set for about 6 hours a day from 10am to 4pm.....when in most full sun.

The fill water seems to be zero TA (the green drops didn't turn the water green). One drop of R-0009 turned it bright red from dull red.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.