Will this pump/filter combo work?

May 9, 2013
North East Ohio
So if you see in my signature...I have a 1 HP (uprated to 1.33 HP) pump with a 30" (soon to be converted back to sand) filter.

I am fighting with ECOsmarte / Pool Builder and now they are claiming my pump is under powered and will NEVER EVER work in a sand filter as large as I have. Of course, they are saying there glass media has nothing to do with it...

Can someone (or as many people as possible) comment and assure me that my filter/pump combo is going to work with good old normal pool sand.

Of course if further info is needed, please let me know!

You should be fine. Lower flow rates make the sand filter work better. If you have a REALLY small pump, the only issue you might have would be when backwashing.

By their logic, a 2-speed or VS pump could never be used on low with a sand filter because the flow is too low. :hammer:

Why specifically do they claim you need a bigger pump?

One of the ONLY honest employees at ECOsmarte by mistake told me that their glass media requires ultra high pressure to work, at LEAST 18 PSI, and what that will do is FORCE the glass to compact and allow it to filter.

Since most of their stuff is installed in commercial applications...and those run at very high pressure.

I have no idea but that goes against everything this forum preaches about flow rates, pump sizes, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.