Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dealing with high pH

1. Back To Top    #1

Dealing with high pH

My pH goes from 7.6 to 7.8 in about 3 days, then on up to 8.0 (if I would let it). I add 40 oz. of muratic acid to return it to 7.6 from 7.8 (30,000 gallon pool).
    FC = 4.5 (Hayward SWG)
    CC = 0
    CYA = 50
    TA = 90
    CH = 30
    pH = 7.8

Is it normal for this to happen in the summer? Its already 90 F here in Mississippi, with high humidity. I get about 2" of evaporation per week. I know the CH is extremely low, but I have a vinyl liner, and our water here is extremely soft. Is there anything to do to keep from having to add so much acid? The pH lowers as calculated when I add the amount of acid indicated by the Taylor test.
    30k gallons in-ground vinyl
    1.5 hp pump 300 lb sand filter
    Polaris cleaner, T15 Hayward SWG
    Jackson, Mississippi

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Dealing with high pH

Pretty normal, especially with a SWG that is causing aeration which drives the pH up.
    You could raise the CYA up to recommended levels and reduce the SWG output which should result in less aeration and slow the pH rise.

As you keep the pH in check, the TA should also get lowered which should also slow the pH rise.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, very normal I agree.

Once the TA is down a little it will slack up on rise. Still, there is nothing unusual with that at all.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

Georgetown, ON, Canada

I have found the same thing with my swcg so I did the borax treatment to buffer the pH, in addition to the other benefits it brings
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100