Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Drop test vs oto

1. Back To Top    #1

Drop test vs oto

I'm confused: I did the basic test for chlorine and it read 5ppm
    Then, just for kicks I did the drop test and my reading was 1.5 how can this be ?
    36,000 gal IG vinyl. Haywood pump and heater Hayward DE filter blue diamond robot. Hayward Aqua Rite SWG AQR-15

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Drop test vs oto

Did you do the CC portion of the FAS-DPD test too?
    This does seem pretty suspect.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, first it was clear then turned pink so I added reagent and cc was 1
    36,000 gal IG vinyl. Haywood pump and heater Hayward DE filter blue diamond robot. Hayward Aqua Rite SWG AQR-15

4. Back To Top    #4

The simpler OTO test (shades of yellow) measures TC (FC + CC). It is also nearly impossible to distinguish between anything between 3 and perhaps 8.

If your FC is 1.5 and CC is 1.0, that means TC is 2.5, which is going to look a whole lot like 5 on the OTO test.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, so I'm wondering why my FC is hanging around 1.5. My cya is now close to 70 after adding stabilizer. All of my other readings are good. Should I turn my % level higher on my SWG or add chlorine or do nothing.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, turn up the percentage.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Turn up the % level or increase run time. You need to have at least 3 in there all the time at 70 CYA with a SWG.

With a CC of 1, you might look at SLAMing the pool too. Should be a quick one and worth the effort. Let the experts guide you for sure on this though.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

If your water is currently crystal clear, you could bypass the SLAM for now. I would suggest a one time dose of liquid chlorine up to around 6-10 ppm as an attempt to rid yourself of that 1 cc. Do NOT use the SWG for this. Simply put the chlorine in the pool and run your FC and CC's test in about 48 hours.

If the 1 cc's result is still there, them I think you need to SLAM.....again, not with the SWG but with liquid chlorine.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Water is crystal clear. Cya is now 70ish. I added liquid chlorine a little while ago. I'll test on sunday

10. Back To Top    #10

Hi dave. Thanks. Just wondering why the drip test first showed clear , that is, no cc's then turned pink maybe a minute or so later. Maybe a false cc reading because it sat for awhile ?

11. Back To Top    #11

The test always does that ... ignore it. You need to complete the FC and CC portions of the test relatively quickly and then move on.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Ok. Then my cc's are in fact 0