High phosphate levels too

Jun 13, 2014
Mendon/MA
So I just literally was told by my store that I had high phosphate levels too. They gave me something to put in (that turned my water cloudy) and to put in 1gal of 12.5% chlorine every week. I wasn't told anything about extra vacs or doing a vac to waste...

BTW, adding one gallon a week goes against everything we teach.

The TFPC method is really just about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS and not what someone wants to sell you.

You should be testing and adding appropriate levels of chlorine every day.

This was my first time dealing with phosphates. What the guy told me made sense I guess (it's algea food, so you want to get rid of what the algea eats). I already added the remover and ruined my crystal clear water. I ran the pump overnight and it looked to be clearing up pretty good.

I used the advice from here to push the fact that I only wanted liquid cholorine since my CYA levels were 87.

Selling phosphate remover to control algae is sort of like selling car wax to improve fuel economy, there is a grain of truth there, but it is not much more than a grain, and is no way worth the cost of the product. Having said that I really need to get my car detailed.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.