Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High phosphate levels too

1. Back To Top    #1

Exclamation High phosphate levels too

So I just literally was told by my store that I had high phosphate levels too. They gave me something to put in (that turned my water cloudy) and to put in 1gal of 12.5% chlorine every week. I wasn't told anything about extra vacs or doing a vac to waste...
    21k gallon IG vinyl with sand filter and single speed pump. Propane Hayward heater installed with no bypass valves.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High phosphate levels too

Just ignore the phosphate level, and don't spend the money on phosphate remover. If you maintain proper FC levels your phosphate level won't make any difference.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

BTW, adding one gallon a week goes against everything we teach.

The TFPC method is really just about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS and not what someone wants to sell you.

You should be testing and adding appropriate levels of chlorine every day.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

This was my first time dealing with phosphates. What the guy told me made sense I guess (it's algea food, so you want to get rid of what the algea eats). I already added the remover and ruined my crystal clear water. I ran the pump overnight and it looked to be clearing up pretty good.

I used the advice from here to push the fact that I only wanted liquid cholorine since my CYA levels were 87.
    21k gallon IG vinyl with sand filter and single speed pump. Propane Hayward heater installed with no bypass valves.

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, does it matter how much fillet mignon is in a room full of chlorine gas? How much are you going to be able to eat before you die?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Well, does it matter how much fillet mignon is in a room full of chlorine gas? How much are you going to be able to eat before you die?
    LOL...that's an awesome way to put it.

7. Back To Top    #7

How concerned should I be about the cloudiness from that phosphate remover? Hopefully it's pretty clear by the time I get home today.

8. Back To Top    #8

We have seen some reports that it makes a gooey mess in the filter. If it settles, vacuum to waste.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Well that's awful. Sounds like a lot of backflushing

10. Back To Top    #10

Selling phosphate remover to control algae is sort of like selling car wax to improve fuel economy, there is a grain of truth there, but it is not much more than a grain, and is no way worth the cost of the product. Having said that I really need to get my car detailed.....
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~