CompuPool CPSC Salt Cell

ScottCh

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2014
Gulfport, MS
I noticed in my lurking that more than a few of you have the CompuPool CPSC SWG's. Have any of you opened up the cell for cleaning? I inherited this SWG with the pool. The previous owner claims it's only 2 years old and he only used it for about the first 2 months, couldn't get it to work right so shut it off and started using chlorine tabs. There is a white buildup on some of the plates which I'm assuming I'll need to get off? before I attempt to use this device but I'm scared I'm going to break the housing. The owners manual isn't real helpful, it just says to turn the cell upside down and pull it apart. This doesn't seem to be working. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hello, Are you talking about the blue transparent cover? There should be a slot to put in a straight screwdriver and pry it apart. Some of the models were having a control board issue, that needed to be replaced. You can call them speak with Jason at customer service he a good guy.

You can remove invert the cell and use water and muriatic acid to clean it or you can remove the cell by the housing where the cord attaches. Ensure you have clean and tight connections when you reconnect the cell.

What happens when you power it on? Do you get any indicators? Do you have a yellow reset button on the bottom of the power supply?
The power supply is the same for the different sized cells 16/24/36/48.

What power does your pump run on, is it set up to come on with the pump? They are internally wired for 115/230 volts.

check out this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbXYMLQwCmQ

Clean the cell with a 20% solution of muriatic acid. Add acid to the water, not water to the acid. I use a plastic wastebasket to keep it up right and not submerge the cord.

Every hour or so, RINSE IT OFF CAREFULLY, then use "jet" to hose the loose stuff out. I capitalized so you don't have acid blow back into your face. BTW, you should be wearing sun glasses or something when using acid.

When it stops bubbling try it again. It may take a while. Popsicle sticks or tongue depressors can be used to break up hard stuff. Just be careful and don't force it.

Yes, I'm talking about the blue transparent cover. Do I not have to remove this to clean the cell? If I can pour a muratic acid/water solution directly into the cell, transparent cover and all, that would be much easier for sure. The pool liner was leaking and I am currently in the process of replacing it. Can the unit be powered on with no water in the cell? Also, the previous owner had everything setting on blocks, including the 19" sand filter he was using for a 18,000 gallon pool. I found a Hayward 24" filter on craigslist and will be replacing the 19" filter with that. I'm also pulling all the blocks out and pouring a concrete pad. The control unit (power supply?) appeared to be running 240, at least I'm fairly sure the breaker I'm looking at is the one for the pool area. As far as a yellow reset button, I'm not seeing one. Is it supposed to be on the power cored or on the control unit itself?

The yellow circuit breaker is on the bottom of the control unit.

No circuit breaker on the bottom of the control unit of any color.

Did the video show you what you needed?

Yeah, they make it look so easy on that video. I finally got the blue casing off by striking it hard with the palm of my hand a few times on top, it opened on one side and i was able to get it off. Getting the cell out is another matter. It appears to be stuck in the clear casing. I finally worked the seal out of the casing but the cell still isn't coming out. I'm currently soaking it, hoping whatever has it stuck will break free.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.