Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leslie's test results: FAC 5, TAC 5, CYA 99 - I'm confused!

1. Back To Top    #1

Leslie's test results: FAC 5, TAC 5, CYA 99 - I'm confused!

Had a piece of the DE filter grid break off and clog the pool inlet nozzle. Created a huge algae problem. Finally got the clog fixed, started up the pool, brushed it down and after a few days noticed no flow. Turns out the algae had clogged the filter. Took the filter out, cleaned it, added filter aid ran 48 hrs., backwashed and added more DE.

Water was clear but I noticed a slight algae issue again. Tested the water with Leslie's basic OT kit and found the chlorine darker that 5. Took a water sample into Leslie's thinking that my OT solution was too old and got back the test results you see in the title.

I do not understand how the FAC and the TAC can be the same. The other numbers supplied by Leslie's: CH 260, TA 80, pH 7.4, Pho 100.

One, is the pool safe to use? Two, should we use PhosFree to lower the Phosphates? Three, how do I get the numbers to the correct range?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leslie's test results: FAC 5, TAC 5, CYA 99 - I'm confused!

Welcome to TFP!!!

Algae is due to improper chemistry, not pump or filter problems. My pool stayed algae free for 2 weeks in the AZ summer without a running pump by maintaining adequate FC levels.

The FC and TC are ideally the same: TC = FC + CC and the CC should be near zero.

Phosphates are meaningless if you maintain adequate FC (which depends on your CYA level). That is just a way for the pool stores to make money.

If you want to take control of the pool, you need to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits. Pool store testing is notoriously inaccurate and inconsistent.

From the looks of things, your CYA is WAY too high and your FC is WAY too low for your high CYA level to prevent algae from starting. See the FC/CYA Chart.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Howdy and welcome Another member from Texas! We'll make room

The best thing you can do is get one of the recommended test kits. The TF100 is the fav around here. You get more bang for your buck (Taylor chems) and excellent service! Link in my sig.

It would be helpful if you add your pool and equipment info in your sig.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Leslie's was telling me my cya was 40 for months. When I finally did my own test properly: diluted x 3, I found out it was actually over 350. I haven't taken a water sample to them again since!
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

What they said, and one more thing 99 is often pool store code for off the chart on CYA since the test only goes to 99 or 100.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~