SLaming

May 28, 2014
Long Island NY
first post been doing a lot of reading i have been slaming pool for 5 days it says for my cya level at 50 my shock level should be at 20 ppm. last night i slammed pool at 9 pm half hour later took reading it was it has 20 ppm this morning at 6 am reading was 15 ppm do i just put in just 1 gallon to bring it up to 20 ppm or add more thanks for any help. pool is crystal clear -- OCLT went from pm reading of 20 ppm to 15 ppm

taylor test kit k-2006
FC 15 ppm
CC 0.5
PH 7.4
CH 380
CYA 50

17300 gallons
vinyl liner
D.E filter 1.5 hp single speed

It's that "maintain" part I had trouble with. Bringing it up to SLAM level is good but it needs to stay there as best you can. Letting it drop and bringing it back up isn't as good as keeping it at or a little above. Test often as the effort you take keeping your FC at SLAM level will shorten the time it takes to clean up your pool and you'll use less bleach overall.
Looks like you're almost done. ;)

Should I slam in dat time?

Merged threads. Please keep all comments about your pool here in this thread until you are completely done with the SLAM and are in maintenance mode. Thanks, Butterfly

I have two questions -- I slam last night at 9pm checked pool half hour later using Taylor k-2006 kit used the 10 ml sample -- I put 38 drops x .5 = 19 ppm is this the correct way to do it or do I use the x.2 ? Second question this morning at 6 AM my reading was 16 ppm using the times five method do I slam right at 6 AM or do I wait for the evening when the sun goes down.

FC 16 ppm
Ph 7.5
Ta 90
Ch 380
Cya 50

Re: Should I slam in dat time?

You are confusing the SLAM process with the OCLT, I think.

Go back to Pool School and print out the SLAM article and then follow every sentence in there to a T. If the sentence doesn't make sense, post back up and we'll help sort it out.

Use the .5 multiplier.

You are correct using 10ml sample and multiplying X .5 .

The SLAM process calls for testing/adding chlorine back to SLAM level as often as once an hour, but at least twice daily. If you are at home and can babysit the pool, the more often you can test/add the faster the process will go.

ie, this morning when the FC was 16, you could have added enough chlorine to raise it back to 20.

When adding slam

Merged threads. Please keep all comments about your pool here in this thread until you are completely done with the SLAM and are in maintenance mode. Thanks, Butterfly - PM sent.

When adding bleach to get back to slam numbers doe's filter have to be running or just pour it in with filter off? I do run my filter from 9pm to 8am when slamming now I'm told to keep slamming in day time thanks again for the help

Re: When adding slam

When SLAMing your pool, you really should keep pump running 24/7 until all three criteria are met. Yes keep SLAMing during day. The idea is to not let your FC fall below the slam level until water is clear, no CC's and you pass an overnight FC test.

I wouldn't ever add chemicals without pump running.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.