Clueless! New to forum

Unfortunately my water is still not clear... But I started with a monster.. I'm trying my best like you and trying to have as much patience as I can.. I feel like I'm getting close though. Based on others feedback on the forum - no two situations are alike.. So if you stay on top of it, you could very well have your water clear in well under two weeks.

Keep the pics coming too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Day 5 update: FC 17 at 11pm (guess I added a little too much) and down to FC 10 this morning. Brought it back up to 15. Finally have some sunshine and I would say that it really is getting lighter green!!! Very cloudy, so I'm thinking that's an awful lot of dead algae that needs to filter out. Day 5 pics in the sunshine!!!

That's ok, I was concerned you were getting itchy and started to add CYA before you finished the SLAM . . . never mind :gone:

Kiss:

Sorry, I missed your question...

I put a stocking in the skimmer basket to help filter better... nothing in it.
Then you're lucky. Many people stretch a nylon across the skimmer, or buy skimmer socks, to catch a lot of debris so it doesn't clog the filter so quickly. I much prefer to just flip the basket upside down and brush off all the windblown debris and leave the filter for the stuff I can't see with the naked eye than backwash every couple weeks. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/58581-Skimmer-Sock-Nylon-Illustrated

Don't get all sidetracked. You need to brush, and vacuum, and maintain FC until that pool is clear. All this other stuff is nice, but wait until the pool is swimmable. Normal people don't care about your water balance or your test results - they're impressed by clear, sparkly water.

Day 6:

1.) FC dropped from 14 to 8.5 overnight. Added bleach (1 1/2 jugs of 121oz. 8.25%) to bring it back up to 15. CC is now 1.5. Day 6 pic:

2.) As I was continuing through Pool School yesterday, I have discovered that I have NEVER backwashed correctly!!! There is no readable label on my multiport valve, so I have never rinsed, just backwashed & then turned it back to the pool!! Does anyone have a readable picture of the multiport label? I also need a new pressure valve because it no longer works. And I wanted to aim my return flow eyes downward, but they are stuck, so I guess I need new eyes too?? Thanks in advance the help :lovetfp:

I think I have the same valve.

Ok, my picture isn't readable but found just a label.

You can order a label : https://www.google.com/search?q=hay...vILoBA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAA&biw=1680&bih=911&dpr=1

If you find it's difficult to turn there is a nylon or teflon washer under the handle that can cause it. you need to remove the pin in the handle and the "non-metallic washer" is about a $5 part. I just did mine and it's amazing how stiff mine was compared to how easy it moves now, like NEW !! I mention it since yours is old enough to be missing the label it might also be really stiff too.

Attachments

• spx0710G.jpg
    spx0710G.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 194
  • Multiport valve handle retaining pin.jpg
    Multiport valve handle retaining pin.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 193

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm thinking from the looks of yours the positions would be the same. You can always go around it, one position at a time and check to see.

The pressure gauges can be had from the same people as the TF-100 test kit. I just got one and it's wonderful. Liquid filled so rain and moisture don't get in there and about ten bucks. http://tftestkits.net/Pressure-Gauge-Glycerin-filled-2-5-Bottom-Mount-p77.html

Thanks so much!! Should I be pointing the return jets downward to help stir up the bottom? I will need to replace those too. Also, the 2 at the bottom of the steps don't seem to work:confused:

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yes, one more question.... how do I know what size the gauge is? Are they all 1/4"?

Return jets--------Mine is also very hard to turn if I close it too tight. I put a wash cloth around it and use an adjustable wrench to turn it. Just be VERY careful!

Gauge-go ahead and order the one posted about above. I bought a cheap one from Lowes last summer and it already has water in it and the rivets are rusting. It will not be long before it goes.

hummmmmmmmmm stir things up or circulation? I wonder which one would be best......I am leaning towards circulation as you really need to be brushing so that should stir things up.

Kim

The ones I've seen are 1/4, same with the plugs in the pump basket too.
My deep end jet I point more up when I'm adding chemical for the turbulence to help mix, down to get some "warm" down there and to the side most of the time to help push stuff toward the skimmer.

If your eyes are like mine, old they need to be replaced. But ... if yours are like mine they are two piece and if you loosen the two parts that surround the ball, the ball will move freely. The inside part with the threads that goes into the wall of the pool had two notches in the ID. I gently chucked it up with the outside ring in a vise and used two screwdrivers crossed like swords to engage the grooves and unscrew it a bit. I used some silicone grease when I put it back together loosely but it still is sticky and needs to be replaced. I ended up not using the eye itself to direct water but rotating the whole assembly in the wall to direct flow once I have the eye in the best place I can get it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=hay...oAA&biw=1680&bih=911&dpr=1#q=pool+eyeball+jet

Gauge-go ahead and order the one posted about above. I bought a cheap one from Lowes last summer and it already has water in it and the rivets are rusting. It will not be long before it goes.
Been there two years ago. Bought a cheap one and ... wished I had bought something good to begin with. So I did this year along with the kit !! :lovetfp:

Attachments

• Eyeball fitting exploded view.jpg
    Eyeball fitting exploded view.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 168
What I haven't tried is to take it apart and try to shim between the two parts so they can't clamp onto the eye. It's a matter of how handy do I want to feel and how much do I want to mess with a 3-8 dollar part I know is old and brittle to begin with ??

You sir are starting to make my life a living h*ll of research. :D

I wondered if maybe Cooper owned Hayward or Hayward owned Cooper or one was slapping their name on the others ... whatever. I found a cooper !!!!!

http://www.inyopools.com/pool_parts_cooper_industries_multiport_valve.aspx

http://www.inyopools.com/Products/07501352059067.htm

And you can get their label too. ;)

But I might look around as it is the same positions as the Hayward and this one is sixteen bucks compared to well under ten for a Hayward.

Thanks y'all!!! You have been so helpful..... so sorry about the research h*ll :( I'm off to spend some money!! Multiport label, psi gauge and eyeballs (yes, to improve circulation to the bottom). Oh also, how do I know what size the eye is? Take it out & measure across the fitting? Sorry, but you are dealing with a girl here...... LOL!! A very determined girl who will "tame this beast"!!! Thanks again, Joanne :p

From a girl to a girl----------Take a pic. Measure as much as you can and write the measurements down on the piece of paper with the pic on it and hand it to someone that looks like they might be nice and helpful!

Works for me every time!

Kim

It should be 1.5 inch.

You mentioned about not rinsing after backwashing, you are shutting off the pump before changing valve positions and only turning the valve in one direction ?? Clockwise usually works best.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.