Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Clueless! New to forum

1. Back To Top    #1

Clueless! New to forum

Hi! I'm so excited to have found this website I bought a home with an inground pool 3 yrs ago & have been struggling to maintain it through very limited knowledge and many, many expensive trips to the pool store. I just ordered the TFTestkit 100 and, as soon as it gets here, will begin cleaning up my "green swamp". I am so looking forward to learning how to and maintaining my pool myself! THANK YOU!!
    Joanne 18' X 36' rectangular 26,700 gal. IG, vinyl, sand filter (300 lbs of sand) replaced last season, Hayward 1 hp pump & Hayward booster pump 3/4 hp, SWG: AquaRite Electronic Chlorine generator with TurboCell CLX-5 (replace 2 yrs. ago), approx. 7 yrs old, Polaris pool cleaner (old, on it's last leg! make that dead!!) TF-100 Test kit w/XL, Pool School!! And LOTS of it!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clueless! New to forum

Welcome to TFP!

You have found the best pool care site on the net!

Congrats on ordering the TF100. You will soon be in total control of your pool
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum and let us know what we can do to help you tame the green monster !!

While waiting for the kit to arrive you should get all the "stuff" out of it you can by using your leaf rake. The less organic matter in there the less bleach you'll use.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the welcome
    Joanne 18' X 36' rectangular 26,700 gal. IG, vinyl, sand filter (300 lbs of sand) replaced last season, Hayward 1 hp pump & Hayward booster pump 3/4 hp, SWG: AquaRite Electronic Chlorine generator with TurboCell CLX-5 (replace 2 yrs. ago), approx. 7 yrs old, Polaris pool cleaner (old, on it's last leg! make that dead!!) TF-100 Test kit w/XL, Pool School!! And LOTS of it!!

5. Back To Top    #5

Woo hoo!! I got my testkit100 today and got straight to business. My pool is cloudy green, I have already removed tons of leaves from the bottom by blind scooping & using Polaris. I tested the pH which was 8.2. I added 32oz of Muriatic acid and now the pH is 7.5. I am now having torrential rain, so may have to wait to start the slam, but here are the rest of my test results:
    FC .5
    CC .5
    pH 7.5
    TA 130
    CH 250
    CYA 20

I have used the PoolMath calculator.... do I use the calculations for the shock level (10) or mustard algae level (14)? Also, do I start right in with the bleach or do I need to address the low CYA first? And should I wait until the monsoon is over to begin the process? Thanks so much! I feel like I have some control over my pool for the first time in forever BEFORE PIC:

6. Back To Top    #6

Just shock level. Mustard only come after the water is clear, and only if you actually have mustard algae.

And start now. While the skies are dark you won't lose any precious chlorine to sunlight. If it looks like the pool will overflow from the storm, maybe drain a little first to make room. Otherwise, let 'er rip.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok great thanks! So, just checking.... I don't have to worry about CYA at this point?

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

For right now the less CYA the better as the lower your CYA level, the lower your SLAM FC level will be and the less bleach you'll need to use. Did you look at the chart ?? http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock

I'd bring the FC up to 12 as it will drop pretty quickly with all that green. You want to maintain an FC level of 10 at all times for a CYA of 20. Life gets in the way so if you're over a bit and it drops below a bit that's to be expected. BUT, if it drops too low the algae will be reproducing and it's wasting your chlorine.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE

9. Back To Top    #9

When I had my green monster, I found it moves a little quicker if you go 1-3 PPM over the recommend. This little cushion will allow it to stay at or above the recommend level for your CYA a little longer. If the SLAM level is 12, I would maybe put it 13-15 to get the process going a little quicker. As the pool starts to clear you can then go to trying to keep it at 12.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

10. Back To Top    #10

Look another smart person! He ordered a good test kit!

You are on your way to a clear pool!

Please keep the pics coming!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Good morning,
    SLAM is in full swing here Just two questions right now: Should I have my SWG running during SLAM? On superchlorinate? And also should I be doing the complete battery of tests each time or am I just keeping track of FC during the SLAM?
    Thanks so much!!

12. Back To Top    #12

Good job!

Turn off you SWG. Let the chlorine do that work. It will save your cell.

Right now only do the FC test. It is really the only one that matter right now.

Keep taking pics. We love seeing your progress!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

It's your choice whether to keep the SWG on or not. But don't use superchlorinate or you risk burning out the element. Running full blast 24/7 may actually overchlorinate the pool as you get ahead of the algae. It will also tend to drive the pH up. And be sure to shut it off when you try the overnight loss test at the end.

During the SLAM, all you watch is FC & CC. And CC isn't absolutely necessary until you've passed the first test, namely, the water is clear and there are no patches of algae visible anywhere.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

14. Back To Top    #14

Great, thanks..... will do!!

15. Back To Top    #15

Ok, so SLAM Day #2 underway!! I took y'alls advice and I'm using FC 12 for my slam. Yesterday I was able to be home all day so I tested every 2 hrs and never went below FC 10 at any point. I raised it back to 12 before bed and then it was down to 5.5 this morning at 6:50am. According to PoolMath, it needed 1 1/2 jugs but I will be gone most of today babysitting grandbabies, so I added 2 1/2 jugs (8.25% 121 oz. bleach) hoping it will hang tight until I get back home. I see improvement in the green color, a little lighter today

16. Back To Top    #16

Have you tried vacuuming blind? If there's any decaying leaves hidden beneath the green, they'll rob your bleach and slow you down.

17. Back To Top    #17

I think it was a smart move to add the extra bottle since you are going to be away for a while. Keep at it. It WILL get sparkly.
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.

18. Back To Top    #18

Yes, we blind scooped tons of leaves (you can see in the pic that I'm surrounded by massive trees) before I started the SLAM. I also ran the polaris all day yesterday & it only collected a handful of leaves. I don't have a vacuum. I was nervous about leaving the polaris running while I was not home, so it's not running today.

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by jhkh View Post
    I see improvement in the green color, a little lighter today
    That is the "light" at the end of the tunnel !! It will take some time to clear it up but the system works if you keep the faith. Before bed you might want to go to 16 so it doesn't drop so much overnight. As you progress that number should drop closer to you actual SLAM target. At first it seems you are poring chlorine down a hole but it will slowly start to need less and less to keep it at the SLAM target.
    Same with being gone all day. Add some extra so you're not dropping down too far.

Is your test kit on it's way ?? Has it arrived ??

I'd still go in there with the rake. Might not get much but anything you pull out is that much less bleach you have to put in. That and keep sweeping

20. Back To Top    #20

Yes, I posted my test results earlier in this thread. I only did the full battery the first time & since I started the SLAM, I have only checked the FC. Should I do all the tests again & post the results?

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast