Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool - New Fill - Advice Sought

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool - New Fill - Advice Sought

I will be starting up a used (but new to me) pool to be filled with city water. I am looking for advice on what levels are important as the pool fills and at what point to start treatment.

I have been study the site which has ton of great information. I would image CYA level will be almost zero coming from the tap. And that FC will be too low as well. I was planning on starting to add stabilizer to raise CYA almost immediately. Pool calculator estimages 41 oz of stabilizer for this pool to achieve CYA of 40. I also plan on adding liquid bleach daily to match test results with aim of FC level of 3 to 4. Does this make sense, and at what point should I become concerned about pH and alkalinity?

Thank you.
    10000 IG plaster pool / Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 sqqft cartridge filter / Aqua Rite SWG T-15/ Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool - New Fill - Advice Sought

Welcome to TFP!!!

CYA will not be almost zero. It WILL be zero.

Sounds like you have a good grasp. Add a couple ppm bleach immediately and get the CYA dissolving. Once the pool is full and circulated for an hour ... test the pH and TA to see if they need adjustment.

Did you already invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for the information. Yes, I do have one of the recommended test kits. Should I aim for adding enough to raise CYA levels to 40 immediately, or could the high concentrations at low pool water levels do damage?
    10000 IG plaster pool / Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 sqqft cartridge filter / Aqua Rite SWG T-15/ Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I would get all 40ppm dissolving ... could put in sock and tie to a noodle while filling. Or put sock in skimmer or in front of jet after the pump is running.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

5. Back To Top    #5

You'll want to have the CYA in an old sock in front of a return jet which can only be done once the pump is running. It takes a while to dissolve so if you add it when you start filling it's likely to all still be there by the time it's full! People regularly run into the hundreds of ppm CYA without damage. Unless you put 40ppm equivalent in like 100 gallons I think you'll be fine.

Don't sweat CYA too much just yet, though. You technically* don't even need it - it's just there to keep chlorine sticking around and not being burned off by the sunlight. It will also take about a week to fully register on the CYA test so just add about 3/4 of what poolmath tells you, in a sock in front of the return, once the pump is running - and forget about it until a week later. Then you can test and go from there.

How are you filling the pool? Garden hose? The fill water should be cold enough that algae won't just pop up overnight. You can probably get by just fine by adding nothing until it's full (provided it won't take more than a couple of days). If you really want to start adding chlorine, add a half of what's needed for your size of pool when it's a quarter full. Stir around with a brush for a good bit and keep an eye on the chlorine levels throughout the day. Use common sense to add as necessary after that.

Truth be told, I'd probably just wait for the pool to fill up, first. That's actually exactly what I did when I acid washed this spring.

*CYA isn't really optional even though it's not technically required. Without it you will both have an almost impossible time keeping the chlorine levels right without constant monitoring and you will also spend more money on more chlorine than is necessary if you just have the right CYA level. My point before is that for a couple days or so it won't make a difference.
    22,000 gallon in-ground kidney-ish shape: 1 HP pump and Triton TR60 sand filter. NEW: Dolphin Nautilus robot! :)

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you both for the information and advice. And yes, garden hoses will be used to fill it - probably two at the same time.

7. Back To Top    #7

I didn't see your signature where it said 7,700 gallon. My 22,000 gallon took just over 48 hours to fill with one hose. If we have the same water pressure it should take you only 16 hours with just one hose. Probably 10-12 hours with two (less water pressure on the second one).

In that time frame you don't need to worry about adding anything until it's full. You can even start the fill after the sun goes down and it will be almost full before the sun comes up. No chance for algae to grow without sunlight!

You certainly can, though. It's just easier when the pump is running to stir things up for you.
    22,000 gallon in-ground kidney-ish shape: 1 HP pump and Triton TR60 sand filter. NEW: Dolphin Nautilus robot! :)

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for that data point. I can easily use two hoses to fill.
    I also just tested the source water. pH a slightly high at 8.0+, and TA a bit low at 40.

9. Back To Top    #9

hi vnktohtwoohseven
    welcome to TFP!

Sounds like you have a good idea of what to and have a test kit. Man thats awesome!
    Im sure you know, but I;ll just mention you will want to get the PH down with muriatic acid right away too.

good luck with your pool!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

10. Back To Top    #10

I wasn't sure which levels were critical immediately - that's why I am at this forum. Thank you for the information. I will get the pH in check as it fills.

11. Back To Top    #11

You're going to need some baking soda to raise that TA, too. I'd shoot for about 70 TA.

Fill the pool, circ for an hour, then test pH and TA and adjust.

Welcome to the forum

btw, congrats on the test kit!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~