new intex sand filter not cleaning pool

Jun 19, 2014
Chattanooga,TN
Hello.
I have a 15x48 intex pool. I have had it up the past 2 years. It's been a perfect size for the little ones. This year the hepa filter pump it came with died. So, I though it would be a good investment to get the 2650 intex sand filter.
The week it took to get the new filter the pool turned into a swamp.
I poured a small bag pf shock in the pool and 8 1" tablets. It's been running for 4 days now ans still looks like a swamp.
Twice a day we have been back washing / rinsing. Still it's green.
I do not have a chem kit. The water smells of heavy chlorine.
When we set up the new filter it called for #20 silica sand. We could not find that printed on any filter sand @ lowes. So we got the Chem sand. The box said it was 10 time smaller than normal sand and only had to use half as much. So, that what we did.
At first we added almost 50# of it, what the filter called for. After 2 days of no change. We dumped out half the sand.
With half the sand the water looked a little better but still green.
My question is do I have the wrong sand for my filter or the wrong filter system. I would hate to have to dump out the $25 a box sand I just put in. But atm We can't use the pool as is. This is going to be the last year with this pool. So learning the sand filter this year would save me a hassle with the new bigger pool next year.
I just want clear water, didn't think changing systems would be so painful.

A green pool is not a problem with filtration or sand but with your water chemistry.

You must first kill the algae with a constant application of chlorine before you can filter it from ANY pool, regardless of the type of filter or sand you use.

Your post is not that unusual in that new members do not understand the function of chlorine and the function of filtration. You have a big job ahead of you in that you will have to SLAM the pool completely and then you will probably see your pool start to clear....I say probably because I have no idea what "chem" sand is and #20 silica sand was the correct sand you should have used. All pool filters are designed for that.

To get you on the right track, I suggest you read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. Once that info is absorbed, read "SLAM" in the "How To" section.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.