Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about TA

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about TA

Hi and thanks so much for being here.

I added MA yesterday to lower my PH from 7.8 so I can eventually add Borax to help stabilize the numbers and get that sparkly water thing going on.
    My TA before adding MA was 90 - This morning it is 90, possibly 95 - it took an extra drop to get the sample to truly turn red. At 9 drops it was pale pink.

1.How is it possible that the TA would stay the same, even rise after adding MA yesterday? The PH did drop to 7.0-7.2

2. I didn't think it would have anything to do with the stabilizer I added yesterday to raise my CYA - but could it?

3. Is it ok for the kids to swim with the PH so low? Should I ban them until it goes up a bit from aeration, or make them part of the process?

As much as I would love to tinker with PVC pipe and build my own , I am heading out to pick up a fountain to aerate.
    Numbers this morning:
    FC 2.5 CC 0 PH 7.0-7.2 TA 95? I did not bother checking CYA today - since I just added stabilizer in the sock yesterday.
    Last time I checked CYA 45-50
    I have a SWG set at40% run time 8 hours a day
    22Kgal (18x36 3.5-6ft), IG,Vinyl,DE 36sqft Filter -90GPM flow rate, Pentair Whisperflow Pump,SWG Intelichlor, UltraTemp Heat Pump, New 10/2012 Bucks County PA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about TA

1. One MA addition may not be enough to lower the TA beyond the accuracy of the test.
    2. No
    3. It is fine, might be a little irritating to the eyes. They can help you aerate to get the pH back up.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Question about TA

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    1. One MA addition may not be enough to lower the TA beyond the accuracy of the test.
    2. No
    3. It is fine, might be a little irritating to the eyes. They can help you aerate to get the pH back up.
    Thanks so much - I realized now that we had some rain and that might have affected the TA too
    22Kgal (18x36 3.5-6ft), IG,Vinyl,DE 36sqft Filter -90GPM flow rate, Pentair Whisperflow Pump,SWG Intelichlor, UltraTemp Heat Pump, New 10/2012 Bucks County PA