Filter pressure not decreasing after backwash

techman65

Dec 12, 2013
Augusta, GA
I have noticed over the past month that my filter pressure does not decrease after backwashing. The gauge does go to zero when the pump is off, so I think the gauge is OK. It also does decrease slightly when I set the multiport to recirculate.

During the time I have been watching this, the gauge is almost always right around 20 PSI. My previous clean pressure used to be closer to the 12-15 range.

Some additional background:
I have had a leaky pump seal for a while. It was an older pump so rather than replace the seal, my home warranty company agreed to replace the entire pump with a new Hayward Super model. This happened yesterday.

Any recommendations of things to check regarding the gauge issue?

thanks.

Sounds like the new pump is moving more water than the old one and thus the pressure is higher. Does the return flow seem higher?

I would just assume that your new clean pressure is 20psi and backwash when it hits 24-25psi.

Would have been nice to upgrade to a 2-speed motor though and save some money on electricity ....

You could also Deep Clean your Sand Filter, but I am not sure that would be causing what you are seeing.

Well, the thing is, the new pump was just installed yesterday. I have been seeing the higher filter pressure for at least a month, and it remains the same with the new pump. I have tried backwashing for longer periods, but doesn't seem to make a difference.

And yes, it would have been nice to upgrade to a 2 speed motor. However, it was sweet to get a brand new Hayward pump installed for only $75. :D

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.