Added Jack's Blue Stuff for Vinyl Liners with minmal change

Jul 6, 2013
Scotch Plains, NJ
Hi all -

I have what are known metal stains on my vinyl liner. I made sure to drop the pH to 7.2 as recommended by Jack's. My FC was still at a 9.5 when I did this last night. I only added one of the two bottles I have on hand. Typically when I add it, the results are remarkable and it's like it's being 'erased' as it's added. Last night I saw very little difference with the one bottle I added.

I know that one bottle is not enough for the gallons in my pool (between 26000-27000) but I was wondering if there is something else that can be going on that would prevent it from working? I walked it around the perimeter and only made it halfway around the pool with the one bottle, but when I realized it had had barely any impact, I held off adding the second bottle figuring I should check with the experts first.

I do know for a fact that it's metal staining and not algae based on the Vitamin C test.

Any thoughts on if I should be checking for anything else? Or is it that I need to wait for the chlorine to drop to a more 'average' number of around 5ish?

Thanks in advance!
Lorraine

Once you have visible stains, I am surprised that adding a sequestrant has done anything in the past. Their purpose is to keep the metal in the water and not allow it to deposit on the surface. With visible stains, you need to do any ascorbic acid treatment and then routinely add sequestrant to prevent the stains from reappearing.

Read this and the link inside:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/137-metals-in-the-water-and-metal-stains

Thanks Jason! I have one more bottle of the Vinly Liner Blue Stuff, two bottles of the Jack's Magenta and four bottles of the HtH Metal Control. Any chance any of these have a chance of helping with the staining? I also have a Metal Free from Natural Chemistry - the Metal Free says it is an acryclic copolymer with citric acid. Would that be something I could use first, see the results and then use any of the others as sequestrants moving forward?

This is the first year I'm attempting to get ahead of the metal staining - but the SLAM process I ran had to be completed first, and took some time. So now I'm off to educate myself on this one :)

I think those are all sequestrant and are not designed to remove existing staining.

Once the pool is clean after the SLAM, then you should add Poly 60 algaecide and follow the process for the AA treatment.

Thanks for clarifying, Jason. I agree it seems a little odd that it worked previously, but we have previously tacked it when it first started. Since this started prior to the SLAM process, and the SLAM process went on for a while, maybe it's just 'baked in' for now. Now to find the Poly 60 in a store!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.