LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2014
Highland Village, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We live in Denton County and have a horrible mosquito problem. We have had our pool for 18 years and cannot use it in the afternoons and evenings because of those little guys. How do you deal with this problem?

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Propane powered mosquito fogger. Be careful not to walk into the fog with the fogger (big flaming pilot light on the front of it). The fog is explosive and you can loose arm and facial hair! I seem to forget that rule over every winter. 8)

Burgess 1443 is the model I have

I have two types of mosquitoes the regular (dawn and dusk biters) and asian tiger (sunshine/day biters). I have a skeetervac and will be purchasing a used mosquito magnet this weekend. The two types of mosquitoes have different attractants and I've heard that the asian tiger is repelled by the regular mosquito attractant, so I plan to experiment to see which attractant workers best with each system.

I also spray the untamed part of my yard with concentrated Spectracide using a 1.5 gallon garden sprayer about once a month or so.

I also have tiki torches filled with citronella set up all over my yard.

I take the multiple system route since some of my neighbors have lots of standing water for the mosquitoes to breed.

I have tried the Cutter in the past and it worked well when the sprayer worked. I wonder what the dilution rate is so I could try it with the backpack sprayer?

A trichlor tab in the standing water will usually help :)

The problem is that it is in my neighbor's yard. They are a little eccentric and have a creepy house and even creepier yard that is one big thicket. Rare is the day they mow and when they do it is just a pathway through the junk filled thicket. I live in an older neighborhood without an HOA. I can't believe my city hasn't made them clean up their yard, sigh.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good thread. I have wondered the same thing. I went and read the label on the above mentioned product and it says is it "highly toxic to bees". That rules it out for me. I don't want to harm the bees. Anything else is fair game!!!

The problem is that it is in my neighbor's yard. They are a little eccentric and have a creepy house and even creepier yard that is one big thicket. Rare is the day they mow and when they do it is just a pathway through the junk filled thicket. I live in an older neighborhood without an HOA. I can't believe my city hasn't made them clean up their yard, sigh.

I feel your pain kcindc! We had a neighbor (was taken out this winter by authorities due to no running water or heat and a cat hoarder :shock:) who did absolutely nothing to her yard for almost 20 years! When we put the pool in, she came up and demanded to know why I tore her shed down (it was over run with weeds, vines and trees and falling over on itself)?! I told her, it's right there! She was like, Did you see my cat? :hammer: We get more than skeeters that come up from that yard. Once I get the hunting license renewed, I sit with the BowTech on the side of my garage and feed the rodents broadheads as they come up from her yard/wooded lot/sanctuary. If it's in season, it's fair game.

Srayed the Cutter product yesterday and had no problems with their applicator nozzle. I called Cutter to try to get a dilution rate but they said their EPA approval required use of their sprayer. It is 6am and no pesky mosquitos.

I have a mosquito magnet that I have used for several years which works pretty good. This year our next door neighbors used a service called Mosquito Squad which sprays once a month. We gave it a try this year and I have not seen any mosquitos in the last 3 weeks, We back up to a forest preserve and a creek so they are back there for sure.

I'm going to introduce another angle on how to deal with this problem. Have you considered natural repellents? I have tried several natural homeopathic remedies over the past few years and have found that they are more effective than many commercially-available products. They have made a believer out of me. Here are a few ideas that not only work, but have been found to be more effective than commercial chemical insecticides in repelling mosquitos:

1. Catnip—According to research at the American Chemical Society, the essential oil found in the herb catnip is about 10 times more effective than DEET in repelling mosquitoes. (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2001/08/010828075659.htm)
  2. Citronella—I'm a fan of the old-school citronella candles. Use only pure essential oil of citronella—not fragrance oil. Citronella can also be applied topically, however make sure to use a high quality citronella essential oil from a natural food store. While it’s not as effective as catnip, it’s still a good option.
  3. Neem oil or Neem Seed oil: According to a study by the US National Research Council, Neem oil is more effective than DEET. The results were confirmed by scientists at the Malaria Institute in India and in research cited in the Journal of the American Mosquito Control Association. (http://www.researchgate.net/publica...llent_action_of_neem_(Azadirachta_indica)_oil)
  4. Organic soy oil—Research cited in The New England Journal of Medicine found that repellents made of soybean oil are just as effective as DEET-containing repellents.
Read more here: http://thelittlegreenapple.com/articles/Eight-Natural-Mosquito-Repellents.html

Other essential oils that make good mosquito repellents include Lemon Eucalyptus Oil, Cinnamon Oil, Rosemary Oil, Lemongrass Oil, Cedar Oil, Peppermint Oil, Clove Oil, Geranium Oil.

If you plan on applying any of these topically, I would first apply a small amount in a localized area as a test to see if you have an allergic reaction. If no allergic reaction is found, then I would suggest mixing the essential oils with a carrier such as a thin oil, witch hazel, or vodka (though I can think of better uses for the latter;)). This will make a good spray product. Avoid using plain water since oil & water do not mix. You can also apply these products to cotton balls and place them in a small wide-mouth jar or similar implement. I have done this with peppermint oil and it has definitely made a difference.

Other things to note...If you live on a wooded lot and/or near a pond, you will always have more of a mosquito problem than those who live on an open lot away from any standing water. One of my friends lives on a wooded lot and you will get eaten alive, especially from late-afternoon through dusk. At my house (on an open lot with only one tree in the front yard), it is virtually a night & day difference - usually nary a bite. Also, check gutters/downspouts for trapped standing water. This is a frequently overlooked source that serves as an effective mosquito breeding ground. Finally, wear lighter-colored clothes when you will be on the patio especially from late-afternoon through dusk. Mosquitos are attracted to darker colored clothes since it resembles foliage to them. Since most mosquitos do not like direct sunlight, they will seek shade.

I use the Cutter spray a couple of times a year. I hate spraying nondiscriminatory poison, but we are in an area that has lots of mosquitoes and has a history of west nile. I also have a kid that gets enough of a reaction that she needs benedryl if she has more than a couple of bites. I have found that if I just spray the "leafy plantings" (decorative grasses, hostas, that type thing) I can usually knock them down enough that we can be outside. If you don't want to spray the whole yard, you can try just the leafy shady areas.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.