Re: Green Pool, NOT ALEGAE and NOT COPPER? Really need help from you pro's!

Jul 5, 2013
Harrisburg, NC

Moved post from http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...need-help-from-you-pro-s!?p=676819#post676819 Please ask questions in your own thread :wink: Butterfly

MT...Same problem with my pool right now. Maybe you can help. I have a 13000 gallon Fiberglass pool, about 5 years old. Started having the iron staining problem early last year.

I have refilled several times and the stains keep coming back. This year in February as I reopened the pool, I drained it about 3/4 of the way and refilled twice.

Water tested really well after a few adjustments. PH is 7.2 and TA at 80 PPM. CYA is 60, Calcium Hardness is now 280 PPM. Since February I have put 7 quarts of sequesterant, including 5 bottles over the course of 1 month of Jack's Magic Blue Stuff to stop the iron.

Chlorine levels are low, but measurable, and the iron still keeps coming out of solution. I am using Ascorbic Acid to clean the stains. After the AA treatment, the pool looks perfect and tests as though it is balanced, but the stains keep coming back.

Really at a loss for a good answer. Using the AA puts a strong chlorine demand on the water, so I am concerned about algae forming. Local temps have been above 90. I am trying to keep a chlorine levels low so the Jack's Magic will work and the iron will not come out of solution.

Any insights would be great. Tired of dropping $$ to stop iron staining

Scott, Welcome to TFP.

Unfortunately, with iron or metal in your water, you're going to be tied to a sequesterant. Are you running a heater? What is your fill source? Maybe a complete drain/refill of trucked in water would help? Also, polyquat 60 algaecide will help keep algae at bay while running low FC for AA. Other than that, I'm at a loss for your situation.

A location in your profile and your equipment and pool specs in your signature would help a lot too. You can do that here :lookhere: What we need to know to answer your questions.

Thanks Casey,
No heater. Just good Carolina sun. I am filling from tap water. I have done a drain / refill 2 times this year. I have a pretty good idea of the process of trying to get rid of the stain, just have not been successful thus far. I may drain and refill later this year if I don't get this under control. I think I will try again here in a couple weeks to follow the AA treatment, Polyquat, sequesterant and no shock for 2 weeks. I feel like I have been down that road at least twice, starting at the right levels and being patient to not add shock or get the chlorine levels up quickly, but never got rid of the stain. It would always return within 1 week, even with adding additional sequesterant. As I read through the many posts on AA treatments and getting rid of stains, I am not hearing anything I have not tried, but I have no choice but to keep trying. As of today, chlorine levels are not measurable, PH is 7.5, TA is 90 PPM, Calcium hardness is 280 PPM, CY is about 80. I added a little muriatic acid to reduce the PH. I will check the level tomorrow. Already seeing the stain come back from an AA treatment 1 week ago. I may post later after another try. 13000 gallon Fiberglass pool. Sand filter, Hayward pump and rainbow chlorinator. Pump motor and chlorinator are new this year along with new sand.

This may be silly of me to ask but Im confused....where is the metal coming from? Are you filling from a well? Have you tested for metals? Are you adding algaecides that contain copper?

This may be silly of me to ask but Im confused....where is the metal coming from? Are you filling from a well? Have you tested for metals? Are you adding algaecides that contain copper?

Not sure where my metals are coming from. Filling with tap water, not well water, Our township likely has a higher concentrate of metals. I have not tested it. I was using an algaecide that had copper in it. I have stopped using it. Using the algaecide 60 now I don't think that caused the issue. As of today, there is very little metal stain after 2 weeks of low chlorine and low PH. I just finished another ascorbic acid treatment this afternoon, following instructions I found on TFP forum. I think I always ran into trouble by being tempted to shock after a few days and then the stain would come back. I understand why. I will not shock for 10-14 days. I have a better feeling about it now with my most recent results of very little stain after 2 weeks. I have fought this for almost 2 years. In those 2 years I know I got myself into trouble by trying to stabilize chlorine demand by increasing the chlorine intake with the tabs and shock, then my CA went through the roof, then no chlorine would work, then the stains kept coming back...viscous cycle. Could not stabilize anything...but feeling a bit better now. I will let you know in 2 weeks. Another quick question...my pool looks mildly greenish, probably the iron, not algae green, but metal green. The iron is not plating to the side of the pool, but the color has me a bit concerned. I am hoping the algaecide 60 treatment, along with the AA treatment and metal out treatment will get rid of the green tint. Let me know if you have any ideas beyond the obvious.
Measurements as of today:
FC - 0
PH - 7.2
TA - 80
CH - 290

Thanks for your help.

What is the CYA?

You need to slowly and continuously add FC until it starts to hold.....

You can post a pic of the green? Clear green is metals, but cloudy green is organics.

Did you try adding some more sequestrant?

Just checked and CYA right now is virtually 0. Did not expect that at all. I tested twice to make sure. Not sure how it got there as 2 months ago is was 60. Numerous ascorbic acid treatments, lots of sequesterant, algaecide treatment yesterday, shock, high temp's. I just read a couple strings on degradation of CYA. Not sure if my situation fits. I will be adding 2lbs of Cyanuric acid this afternoon to bring the levels back up. I have always thought that if I have good CYA, then it should not be falling, but only getting higher due to the chlorine tabs. As far as the color, it is better today, but just slightly green. Water is crystal clear. I may add just a bit more sequesterant. I added 40 OZ's yesterday, used 20 oz's of Jack's Magic Blue stuff and and 20 oz's of Doheneys high concentrate metal out. Will now begin to bring up FC levels with the tabs only, no shock. PH is 7.1 and TA is 70. Thanks for the help. 13000 gallon fiberglass. Hayward sand filter. Rainbow chlorinator

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.