Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Placement of shut off valves for new pool build

1. Back To Top    #1

Placement of shut off valves for new pool build

Hi guys...my build is coming along nicely!...water hit the liner yesterday (slowly). I'm just waiting for siding to go on my pool shed so I can put the plumbing in to connect the equipment. My question is where is the best and practical places for shut off valves? I'm using manual ball valves, I'm going to put a shut off on the main drain, and one on the skimmer, for sure. Then is there any reason I should put one on the returns? Or between pump and filter, filter and heat pump, or heat pump and SWG? Let me know your thoughts on this please...I may as well do it right the first time!
    By the way, later today I'll update some pics on my build thread (New build in New Brunswick, Canada). I've been so crazy busy working on this project, that posting pics became low on my priority list!
    Thanks for the advice, as always!
    18' x 36' IG Vinyl Kidney Shape, 20K Gallon, Hayward ProLogic PLP4 Control with T-15 SWG, ColorLogic 4.0 LED Light, Hayward TriStar 1 HP Full Rated Pump, Hayward Swimclear 325 SQ FT Cartridge Filter, Raypak 117000 BTU Heat Pump, TF100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Placement of shut off valves for new pool build

Shutoff valves are not required, but they can be very nice to have. Having a shutoff on each line that goes from the pad to the pool is a good setup. There is no point in putting shutoffs between the various pieces of equipment on the pad.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Shutoff valves are not required, but they can be very nice to have. Having a shutoff on each line that goes from the pad to the pool is a good setup. There is no point in putting shutoffs between the various pieces of equipment on the pad.
    Thanks for the reply. I understand the reasons for having shutoffs on my skimmer line and my main drain line, but can you enlighten me on the benefits of shutoffs on my return lines. And, if I do put them on the return, is it better to put just one valve before the return splits, or would I benefit from a valve on each return line?
    18' x 36' IG Vinyl Kidney Shape, 20K Gallon, Hayward ProLogic PLP4 Control with T-15 SWG, ColorLogic 4.0 LED Light, Hayward TriStar 1 HP Full Rated Pump, Hayward Swimclear 325 SQ FT Cartridge Filter, Raypak 117000 BTU Heat Pump, TF100 Test Kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

If you ever need to just shut off one skimmer due to a leak or something, you'd be better off with separate shut off valves.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    If you ever need to just shut off one skimmer due to a leak or something, you'd be better off with separate shut off valves.
    Thanks...that makes perfect sense for skimmers...but I only have one skimmer, so that makes it pretty simple...lol. But I suppose I could use the same reasoning for the return lines?

6. Back To Top    #6

My bad.................but works either way!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

Haha...no worries...I figured. Thanks

8. Back To Top    #8

How many return lines do you have? I have a slide, bubbler and normal return (split into three jets at the pool) on my pool and have shut off valves on each. Makes it nice to up the pressure on the slide and/or bubbler when running both.
    28,000 IG Plaster
    Pentair IC-40 SWG
    Pentair tagelus ta100 sand filter
    Pentair challenger 1.5hp pump
    TF-100 TFP since day 1

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by cbrown4690 View Post
    How many return lines do you have? I have a slide, bubbler and normal return (split into three jets at the pool) on my pool and have shut off valves on each. Makes it nice to up the pressure on the slide and/or bubbler when running both.
    That sounds super nice. My set up is pretty simple. Two return jets going to the pool...that's it.