Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What tends to cause a pool to collapse?

1. Back To Top    #1

Angry What tends to cause a pool to collapse?

As luck would have it the day after we list our house for sale I come home to find our pool has collapsed out of the blue. Everything was great the day before and never had a real issue since the thing was installed.

Four of the wall supports were crushed in and the metal went through the liner in two spots. The metal frame completely tore in half and it looked like a giant blue water balloon was hanging out the side. If it wasn't for the 4x4's from the deck I'm guessing we'd have one very wet crawl space to deal with, but thankfully the leak was much slower and the only damage is the total loss of the pool.

I'm guessing the previous owners who installed the pool built the pool first and then the deck that goes completely around it so I have no idea how much trouble it is going to be setting up a new pool in the very tight space. We are still in shock over this happening to be honest.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: What tends to cause a pool to collapse?

G'day vk... Wow, that's a failure all right.... Its hard to tell structurally what happened from your photos, but is that the beginning of the side wall that's been blown out? Where the two pool wall ends meet? I'm so sorry for your loss...
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

3. Back To Top    #3

I have no idea if that was the beginning - that is a good question. I guess that could have been the failure point - I really have no idea how these things are constructed.

4. Back To Top    #4

That just plain sucks. Hopefully no one was in or near it when it happened!
    12 x 28 Doughboy Dinosaur (j/k: Breckenridge) partial bury, continuous depth 9,000gal. Doughboy Power Pak I digital 1hp pump, Hayward Pro-Series 300lb sand filter. Foam panel base, Gladon wall foam, Gladon cove.

5. Back To Top    #5

Was the pool structure level?
    I think this is usually only a concern if the pool is not properly leveled and installed putting greater stress on parts of the pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

It was installed back in 1999 and we moved here in 2009 so there is no telling - I'd guess a problem would have happened before if that was the case.

It is almost funny because if we weren't moving we had talked about tearing it down and I guess it was offended by that.

7. Back To Top    #7

Teenage pools are very sensitive.
    12 x 28 Doughboy Dinosaur (j/k: Breckenridge) partial bury, continuous depth 9,000gal. Doughboy Power Pak I digital 1hp pump, Hayward Pro-Series 300lb sand filter. Foam panel base, Gladon wall foam, Gladon cove.

8. Back To Top    #8

Salt pool by any chance? Just wondering about corrosion under the liner.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm not sure if it was salt all of its life, but I know previous owners ran salt and we ran salt as well - lots of corrosion on the top metal

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by vk View Post
    I'm not sure if it was salt all of its life, but I know previous owners ran salt and we ran salt as well - lots of corrosion on the top metal
    dollars to donuts that was your issue right there. SWG and AGPs = bad mix. In fact, many AGPs like my doughboy pool specifically state the use of SWGs void the warranty due to the corrosion. sorry for your loss though, that stinks.
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

11. Back To Top    #11

Sorry for your loss.
    17500 Gal Above Ground, 1.5HP Dynamo Pump, 250# Pentair Sand filter with ZeoLite. Diver Dave Cleaner. TFP test kit w/SpeedStir, 7 Grandaughters and 1 Grandson swimming every week WooooHooo!!

12. Back To Top    #12

Sorry for the loss.

On the bright side, many feel a pool adds no dollar value to a home and may prevent some people from buying it. Time to remove the pool and deck, sell the house and move on to greener pastures.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

13. Back To Top    #13

I agree about the value, but a nice 30' pool sure looked better than a 30' hole in the deck.