About to be new owner

Jun 18, 2014
Glendora, CA
Hello,

We just bought a house that has a pool. We will be closing escrow very soon. I am not sure if the owner moves out yet but just a little concern if the lapse in pool service is a bad idea.

From you expert here, how long a pool can go without being serviced. I will need to talk to the agent tomorrow as this just came across tonight.

Thanks,
TT

Re: Hello newbie here

Welcome to TFP trackstar. It is more than likely that the water in the pool is over saturated from the previous owner's use of Pool Store chemicals and will need special care to bring it back from the abiss even if it looks like the water is clear. Do yourself a favor and order the recommended test kit now so when you move in, you can tackle and issue that arises with the pool, even if it turns green. I would really not fret over it as anything that goes on the pool, chlorine bleach usually fixes. along with partial water drain/refills.

You can look at the kits here :lookhere: Test Kit Comparison. We recommend the TF100 as you will get more reagents for the money than you will with the K2006.

I also highly recommend you read:

ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool
Chlorine CYA Chart
Recommended Levels
What is Trouble Free Pool Care?
PoolMath

These links will surely get you started in the right direction. Please, ask any questions and we'll answer them!

With no automation, the pool will start to cloud after a couple of days. Not sure how fast before it turns green, but probably wouldn't be long.

Unfortunately, the complete answer is going to depend on a lot of factors, most important of which is what kind of pool and equipment we're talking about. How long is the gap going to be?

pool.jpg

Thanks guys. Closing of escrow should be around July 3 (on the escrow it says July 14 or sooner). The sellers are elderly couple that has their pool serviced. I just texted the listing agent and she will make sure the seller have the pool service until closing of escrow.

I am ordering the pool kit now. Wife wants to have the pool service by outsider. We called around and the common quotes are $85 a month without chemical (weekly visit), but I am tempted to do myself as with anything around the house.

First few questions:

1) How do I find out if the pool is salt water pool or not (not sure the right term)?

2) Also I noticed there was this timer (like the cooking timer) near the equipment. I am assuming that is the pump timer?

TT

A salt pool will have a salt water generator attached to the plumbing.....almost surely the last thing in line before the water returns to the pool.

The timer could be for both SWG and Pump.....where do the wires go?

A salt pool will have a salt water generator attached to the plumbing.....almost surely the last thing in line before the water returns to the pool.

The timer could be for both SWG and Pump.....where do the wires go?

I called the agent and its a traditional pool (non salt). What is SWG stands for? I will let you know once I get the keys to the house (perhaps take a picture).

TT

View attachment 30840

Thanks guys. Closing of escrow should be around July 3 (on the escrow it says July 14 or sooner). The sellers are elderly couple that has their pool serviced. I just texted the listing agent and she will make sure the seller have the pool service until closing of escrow.

I am ordering the pool kit now. Wife wants to have the pool service by outsider. We called around and the common quotes are $85 a month without chemical (weekly visit), but I am tempted to do myself as with anything around the house.

First few questions:

1) How do I find out if the pool is salt water pool or not (not sure the right term)?

2) Also I noticed there was this timer (like the cooking timer) near the equipment. I am assuming that is the pump timer?

TT

Very nice pool!

The pool is GORGEOUS!!!!

I would recommend you do this yourself! Easy Peasy!!! :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.