Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: About to be new owner

1. Back To Top    #1

About to be new owner

Hello,

We just bought a house that has a pool. We will be closing escrow very soon. I am not sure if the owner moves out yet but just a little concern if the lapse in pool service is a bad idea.

From you expert here, how long a pool can go without being serviced. I will need to talk to the agent tomorrow as this just came across tonight.

Thanks,
    TT

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hello newbie here

Welcome to TFP trackstar. It is more than likely that the water in the pool is over saturated from the previous owner's use of Pool Store chemicals and will need special care to bring it back from the abiss even if it looks like the water is clear. Do yourself a favor and order the recommended test kit now so when you move in, you can tackle and issue that arises with the pool, even if it turns green. I would really not fret over it as anything that goes on the pool, chlorine bleach usually fixes. along with partial water drain/refills.

You can look at the kits here Test Kit Comparison. We recommend the TF100 as you will get more reagents for the money than you will with the K2006.

I also highly recommend you read:

ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Chlorine CYA Chart
    Recommended Levels
    What is Trouble Free Pool Care?
    PoolMath

These links will surely get you started in the right direction. Please, ask any questions and we'll answer them!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: About to be new owner

With no automation, the pool will start to cloud after a couple of days. Not sure how fast before it turns green, but probably wouldn't be long.

Unfortunately, the complete answer is going to depend on a lot of factors, most important of which is what kind of pool and equipment we're talking about. How long is the gap going to be?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

pool.jpg

Thanks guys. Closing of escrow should be around July 3 (on the escrow it says July 14 or sooner). The sellers are elderly couple that has their pool serviced. I just texted the listing agent and she will make sure the seller have the pool service until closing of escrow.

I am ordering the pool kit now. Wife wants to have the pool service by outsider. We called around and the common quotes are $85 a month without chemical (weekly visit), but I am tempted to do myself as with anything around the house.

First few questions:

1) How do I find out if the pool is salt water pool or not (not sure the right term)?

2) Also I noticed there was this timer (like the cooking timer) near the equipment. I am assuming that is the pump timer?

TT

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

A salt pool will have a salt water generator attached to the plumbing.....almost surely the last thing in line before the water returns to the pool.

The timer could be for both SWG and Pump.....where do the wires go?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    A salt pool will have a salt water generator attached to the plumbing.....almost surely the last thing in line before the water returns to the pool.

The timer could be for both SWG and Pump.....where do the wires go?
    I called the agent and its a traditional pool (non salt). What is SWG stands for? I will let you know once I get the keys to the house (perhaps take a picture).

TT

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, SWG = salt water generator = salt water pool.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

8. Back To Top    #8

Howdy, neighbor!

Well, unless you're leaving Glendora...
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by trackstar2000 View Post
    pool.jpg

Thanks guys. Closing of escrow should be around July 3 (on the escrow it says July 14 or sooner). The sellers are elderly couple that has their pool serviced. I just texted the listing agent and she will make sure the seller have the pool service until closing of escrow.

I am ordering the pool kit now. Wife wants to have the pool service by outsider. We called around and the common quotes are $85 a month without chemical (weekly visit), but I am tempted to do myself as with anything around the house.

First few questions:

1) How do I find out if the pool is salt water pool or not (not sure the right term)?

2) Also I noticed there was this timer (like the cooking timer) near the equipment. I am assuming that is the pump timer?

TT

Very nice pool!
    IG Pebbletec Blue Tahoe; Paddock Pool PCC 2000 pop-up; 22,275 gal 32' x 16' Diving with Auto-Fill
    Pentair 420 Cartridge filter; 3 hp VS Whisperflo Main Drain, 1 1/2 hp Whisperflo Running Pop-Ups; Jandy AquaPure 1400
    1 1/2 Whisperflo dedicated to Rock Waterfall; TF-100; Taylor K-1766; Pool Built in 1997

10. Back To Top    #10

The pool is GORGEOUS!!!!

I would recommend you do this yourself! Easy Peasy!!!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Howdy, neighbor!

Well, unless you're leaving Glendora...
    Sent you a pm.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks guys.

12. Back To Top    #12

I am reviewing the home inspection report and found this part "no bonding wire present". The inspector told me its the grounding wire. Just doing some research right now.